My Soapings

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesenoodle

Reaction score
This thread is like a handbook. A magnificent handbook of soapings. Get ready to experience the world of my soaps, because it's about to be unleashed like you've never seen before. You don't believe it, you say. Well, you best be believing it, and for your own good, my friend. Because after all, it's a crazy world out there, so we need to figure out how to make good soap.

For your reading pleasure these creations of soaptism will be listed in chronological order of soap birth, from earliest, to latest. No censorship will be provided, and all social inhibitions of what makes this or that soap right or wrong will be forgotten, so if there are any children in the room, prepare to have their eyes blasted with soap.

Peppermint Almond Oatmeal Soap (HP)
First soap ever, just an inexperienced baby soapmaker adapting a honey and milk oatmeal soap off this forum (thanks to whomever it was who posted it, I forget).
Look at the precise cutting. The wonky slices. The crraaaaaaazy wavy design from a homemade aluminum can cutout tool (blood involved to forge that device).

IMG_7066_zps52e947ff.jpg

Screenshot2011-12-16at125235AM_zps7e034faf.png

-Nice and pepperminty.
-A little on the soft side, next time make a little harder.
-Oatmeal wasn't overly abrasive.
-Overkill on the cooking.

Orange Almond Soap (HP)
Next up, an adaptation from the oatmeal soap.
No hard feelings but this soap was boring.

IMG_7114_zpsce8cd5ff.jpg

Screenshot2011-12-16at125617AM_zps21157afb.png

-Use 2x orange oil next time.
-A little on the soft side, next time make a little harder.

Peppermint Coffee Teatree Soap (HP)
Hey lets put coffee into soap for the first time, PARTY TIME

IMG_7115_zps275a2e68.jpg

Screenshot2011-12-16at124708AM_zpse6b54f31.png

-Nice hardness.
-Coffee too abrasive for anything but feet, grind smaller next time.
-Faint minty/teatree smell.
-Rinsed coffee grinds (used) before putting into soap so color wasn't changed.
-The math was stupid on this for teatree oil, not sure why the recipe was written "5% of 3%" but the smell was pretty weak and that calculation is true, just written weird.

Sage Leaf Teatree Oil (HP)
This is where #$%@ gets real. It cannot get any more real than this soap. This soap went down in history and is now taught in 7th grade history classes all across the world.

IMG_7159_zpsd52321fc.jpg

SageLeafTeaTreeSoap_zps03a97db9.png

-Make sure not to get stems in the soap, or at least grind them to powder with a coffee grinder or something. They could be abrasive if left in full chunk form.

-One of my two best soap batches to date.
-A little on the soft side (the only downfall of this soap - it was soft so it went quick), next time make a little harder.
-Teatree smell overpowers any sage smell (I've found the sage leaves don't impart much scent, even when fresh)
-Left a bar in 3 months of occasional sunlight and it turned white (looked cool).
-Could use half the teatree oil and it would still smell good.

Sweet Orange Sage Leaf Soap (CP)
The "taking the last amazing batch and experimenting with it" redo.
First CP batch, HP is a hassle.

photo5_zpsbdeb3575.jpg

photo_zps1f6c43dd.jpg

SweetOrangeSageLeafSoap_zps8de5ef98.png

Harder, which is good, but the last Sage Leaf was better because of the teatree oil (seems go to better with sage, psychologically).
The orange smell is weak, needs doubling if orange is sought.
More sage (triple than the first batch) didn't leave a sage scent.
Sage was ground slightly courser this time (different blender) - like the last batch's sage amount and fineness of grind.
Good soap but needs elements of the first batch brought back to it.

Cinnamon Festivus Bars (CP)
This soap knows it's a bad mother soap.
This soap was ugly on the outside, but once you sliced its face off, it became amazing.
This is the 2nd best soap of all time, 2nd only to Sage Leaf Teatree soap.
Actually, it may be tied with that soap, so it's a tentative 1st place tie.
The marbling and deep cinnamon crevices in this soap are similar to those of the planet Mars. If you look closely you will be brought there. You will most likely wake up with potato chips and sour cream smeared across your face. It's normal. Don't worry. Your body can't help it while you are journeying to outer space. This is most likely the cinnamon's doing.

photo4_zps45c93858.jpg

photo3_zpsad4575d4.jpg

photo2_zps090e9784.jpg

CinnamonFestivusBars_zps03048fb7.png

This batch got really thick all of the sudden after 10 mins of blending and turned lard like after 15min. Smeared it (lard consistency) into mold. The top started crusting pretty quick, panicked and mashed it all together to incorporate everything (that was useless because it just crusted over later anyways). After trying to incorporate everything by mashing the crust, the crust came back, so, dug crevices with a knife into the soap (they stayed open because the stuff was so thick), dumped cinnamon in there while opened, and smashed back together with gloved hands. Crevices mushed together but trapped cinnamon inside. Put way more cinnamon than necessary on, next time use less. Sliced the 'cinnamon desert' off the top thinly for the marbled look. Came out awesome and next time it'll probably be the exact same process despite what I wrote for comments in the recipe at the time. Hopefully it can be achieved again. The amount of cinnamon EO added seems pretty good, it's stronger than weaker, but not too strong. I wrote 15-20min trace but it really was like 5min trace, 10min thicker, 15min like lard.

You can keep them 'neat' after cutting (basically what they look like in the above photos) or you can drag the sides/bottom on excess cinnamon that has spilled to make them look a little rustic or cinnamin'd, whatever you wanna call it.

Next time will be many more crevices made.

Wow that last one is amazing! I also really like the ones with leaves on them. They are so beautiful!! And your description of the last one made me chuckle. Very nice soaps :D

Thanks, I've found that for the leaves, be careful not to get specks of soap on them because it looks bad. Also, putting the leaves in a book to flatten them overnight helps. Put them down on the waxpaper and get soap on em before they recurl. I usually use fresh leaves for that part but flattened dry ones probably work fine too. They stay on for a while but eventually come off, it's still cool though.

cheesenoodle said:
Thanks, I've found that for the leaves, be careful not to get specks of soap on them because it looks bad. Also, putting the leaves in a book to flatten them overnight helps. Put them down on the waxpaper and get soap on em before they recurl. I usually use fresh leaves for that part but flattened dry ones probably work fine too. They stay on for a while but eventually come off, it's still cool though.

Very good point!

You make me wanna go back to making square soaps lol! But seriously, your soap looks like an artwork. I can see it hanging on the wall above my fireplace :)

Thanks, I have now read cinnamon bark oil is more irritating than cinnamon leaf oil, I had the latter. I added 0.5oz to 2.7lb of oils so it should be ok! We'll see. Thanks for bringing that up, didn't think of that!

Ha! Very entertaining commentary there :) And beautiful soaps!

cheesenoodle said:
Thanks, I have now read cinnamon bark oil is more irritating than cinnamon leaf oil, I had the latter. I added 0.5oz to 2.7lb of oils so it should be ok! We'll see. Thanks for bringing that up, didn't think of that!
According to Kurt Schnaubelt, PhD (Advanced Aromatherapy, Medical Aromatherapy, Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils, etc), Cinnamon Leaf EO is more aggressive than Cinnamon Bark EO. I only use 0.5 oz Cinnamon Bark EO in 6 lbs of oil...so maybe just test it on your hands before trying it on other... er...umm... more "sensitive" bits :lol:

Latest posts

Back