Clay to hold scent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefmom

Reaction score
I have been doing many little soap experiments and have had quite a few scents just disappear, and some very quickly.

In my hours of reading I keep hearing about using clay to hold the scent in the soap.

So, what kind of clay and how much to hold the scent?

I have a list of a few clays I would like to try....for their properties in the soap....but will any clay do this or just certain kinds?

I thought I would ask...BEFORE I make an order. :)

IMHO it doesn't work.
Fading scents need another scent to bind with.

citrus scents are notorious for fading - all top notes, which means they "evaporate".
Anchoring those with patchouli or lavender is said to help...

forgot to add that i also use benzoin tincture to anchor the scents. i got the idea from the spanish soapers' blogs.

I use litsea to anchor my citrus scents and find that works fairly well. Once in awhile I'll use clay but I haven't found a lot of scents that don't stick. They may be light but they are still there.

I have had very good success using kaolin clay in my soaps at 2 tsp ppo. Not only does it help anchor the scent, but it increases the lather. I also think the oils you use play a role in how the scent holds. My soaps are at least 40% tallow except for my salt bars. With salt bars, I just mix my EO/FOs with the salt.

Latest posts

Back