Clay in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGardener

Reaction score
Do any of you who soap using clay and EO's find that the clay absorbs the scent and you have to use way more scent with soaps containing clay?

I just made two new soaps containing clay and the scent has faded badly. :? I'm not sure if that's just the EO's I used or if the clay has something to do with it.

Thank you!

What type of clay did you use? I have found that clay can help to 'fix" the scent and it holds longer. However, my experience was with FOs and not EOs. I am not too experienced with EOs yet but I try to soap RT and not let the mold get too hot because I think that heat is burning off my EOs. They are tricky.

I used Kaolin white clay in one and Canadian mineral clay in the other. I do CP and I do gel. I agree that the heat probably does morph the scents somewhat, but I like the texture of the gelled soap.

I'm pleased to hear you say that you think clay holds the scents because I want to soap with more clay. It may have been the EO's I used or perhaps I didn't use them at adequate strength

ballininthamix said:
Pardon my ignorance here, but what benefits does one get from using clay in soap?

I find clay gives a more of a dense lather. I'm interested to see what others feel...

Shani said:
ballininthamix said:
Pardon my ignorance here, but what benefits does one get from using clay in soap?

I find clay gives a more of a dense lather. I'm interested to see what others feel...

I agree with that. I also find it makes a harder more long-lasting bar and I use as a natural colourant........green clay (green), pink clay (pink), white clay (white), Canadian mineral clay (brick red)

Clay also acts as an exfoiliant sort of like pumice. I have found that fragrance oils do not perform as well as essential oils. I believe the alcohol in the FOs can also adversly affect a soap batch. Essential oils cost a little more but have given me better and more consistent results.

Steve
www.colebrothers.com/articles/soap.html

Back