Citrus Lip Balm?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassgirl

Reaction score
Someone recently told me that citrus EO's aren't good for lip balm because they're...I can't remember the word - photo-something...meaning your lips can get sunburned. Has anyone else heard this? I see lots of citrus lip balms for sale and I'd like to make one too, but don't want to risk that!

Thanks!

I wonder too

Hi. Everuthing I've read says not to use citrus oils in lip balms because they are photo sensitive and can cause skin to sunburn. Yet I see many lip balms and other B & B products using them. I would like to use eo's in my balms but I think I will just go natural and not worry about a customer having a bad reaction to an eo. I am new at all this and would like to know what others have to say that do use these oils.

You need to source out non-phototoxic citrus EO's. Sometimes they are referred to as distilled (instead of cold process). But make sure they really are before you buy them. Some places claim all kinds of rubbish.

I've found that they aren't very common. Fortunately I have a shop that sells them near where I live but my online sources don't.

I made a non-phototoxic bergamot lip balm that tastes great so it is worth the effort.

Thanks for the response! I checked the website of the ones I have and they do say not to use them in the sun. I guess I'll put off that plan for a while! :D [/i]

Latest posts

Back