citric acid and vitamin e in cp soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divaknitting

Reaction score
I purchased a bar of Dr. Bronner's Hemp Peppermint soap for "research" purposes :) The last two ingredients after the saponified oils and water is citric acid and vitamin e. I've read about vitamin e reducing the chance of rancidity (mostly in cosmetic preps) and citric acid for bath bombs. Is a small amount in soap as a preservative a good idea? Has anyone experimented with this?

I sometimes use a sweet almond oil that is 20% Vitamin E and 80% sweet almond. Not sure if it acts as a preservative though. I think Vitamin E is too delicate for the saponification process.

I use GSE and Rosemary extract as the preservatives. There is some debate about the GSE being an effective preservative but I've used it for 10 years and like it a lot. I still have soaps that are 5 years old and are fine. I like the quick trace the GSE gives me. :D Less than 5 minutes for my formulas.

Rosemary extract is the natural preservative that is being praised at the moment.
Here is a link to Cranberry Lanes site that has info on it.
http://www.cranberrylane.com/rosemary-facts.htm

I always put about 1/4 of a tsp of Vit E in my soap, right after a light trace. Supposed to prevent anything from going rancid.

Latest posts

Back