Chlorophyll

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christellita

Reaction score
Does anyone work with chlorophyll as a colorant? I have liquid chlorophyll that works great, but i read that it isn't natural. Powdered chlorophyll is supposedly natural, but I can't find it anywhere. Does anybody know of a place to buy it?
Thanks!

Not sure about powdered Chlorophyll but I bought some powdered Spirulina at GNC.

Spirulina seems to be a better colorant. Chloropyll can stain the skin if too much is used in the soap.

You can get chlorophyll capsules at any health food store. I open up 1 capsule per 5 pound batch for a light green soap. If you go too dark, you will get green lather and possible staining.
I don't know anything about coloring with spirulina as I haven't tried it. I have used chlorella, and got DOS about a month later so I never used chlorella again.

I tried using chlorophyll capsules as a colorant in my first batch of salt bars last year. Used a cucumber melon fragrance that I've used many times with no problems. I also tested a small batch of soap with the chlorophyll with no problems. Now....8 months later, I'm gonna have to throw the batch out. It reaks! :shock: I don't know if it was the salt combined with the chlorophyll....or the chlorophyll combined with the fo....whatever the case...I had to seal the whole batch up it stinks so bad. It's not a rancid smell....more of musty smell. Who knows what happened? I just know I won't be combining salt and chlorophyll again! I'm even hesitant to use the chlorophyll caps again! :p

Back