Chinese M&P soap bases

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suds&Sundry

Reaction score
What do you guys think of Chinese sourced soap bases? Is that something generally frowned upon in this community? Do you only source from the US or is Chinese base ok?

Hi!
I’m new here … My son and I started out with Melt & Pours. It isn’t easy to get quality materials here (I’m based in Islamabad presently) sometimes. It can be hit and miss because there is no way to verify the quality of certain products.

We bought M&P bases from a company that packaged their stuff well, but when we tried melting the base, all we got was a lumpy mess that had a strong chemical odour. We could not make ANYTHING from any of their bases, no matter what we tried –double boil, microwave… nothing worked. (We had a good experience with another company’s base.)

It was this experience that made us move to Cold Process soaps. We just couldn’t waste time and money like that, you know? Had we had access to better supplies, we might have continued making M&Ps. If you’re in the US, there are companies that have tried and tested products and people who can vouch for them. I’d definitely go with those as opposed to an unknown company?

Just my thoughts :) I still have 2 bases I don’t know what to do with … Can you tell I’m so burned? 😂

What do you guys think of Chinese sourced soap bases? Is that something generally frowned upon in this community? Do you only source from the US or is Chinese base ok?
@Suds&Sundry, I only started this soap hobby 3 months ago. I haven't bought from a Chinese company. Since it's just a hobby and I'm sure I buy plenty of other products that originate in China- starting with my iphone- I can't say I would have an issue with buying M&P from China. I've only bought M&P on Amazon from a California based company because it's reasonably priced, there are no charges for shipping and it arrives quickly. If I bought from China, I would be more concerned about quality control and if I received a bad batch, if I would be able to send it back. If I were making the soap to sell (well, I probably wouldn't be using melt & pour which I think is a whole different discussion, but if I were .... ), I'd probably feel more like I should use an American based M&P. I'm aware that the mica powder I buy on Amazon is from China. I can't say that the colorants are always very accurate. I've been told that it's because the mica I get on Amazon is low quality. That's possible. Well, probable.... Anyway, personally, I would not worry about what the "community" thinks. I think you have to ask yourself what about buying M&P from China gives you pause. The fact that you have asked the question leads me to think that it may not align well with your politics. But, still ask yourself what makes you hesitant and, on the other hand, why you'd like to try M&P from China. Then ask a few close friends what they think. If you are using M&P to sell, there are probably other considerations. Like, who are you selling to and what image do you want to project. And, do you trust that what you're told is in the M&P is what is in the M&P? If you are selling your soap, it is more important that you be able to verify the contents. The mica I have bought from China has everything written in Chinese. I don't even know what color they then they've sent me!

Latest posts

Back