Chemistry for cosmetic course

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivai

Reaction score
Hello

I dont really know where i should this particular question. So i post it here instead considering im a new member. I have been making CP soap for 2 years now and mostly successful, i read a lot of books, went for local training, offline discussion, reading forum, googling, etc. Thanks to all that.

However lately im thinking i should have a proper education in chemistry for cosmetic using nature herbs, etc. I want to build a stronger foundation for myself in chemistry so at least i know what will happen if i mix certain ingredients in the beauty product instead of reading opinion from the internet. Certainly im not implying online article is not reliable, but it does take a lot of efforts to filter out what is right and what is wrong. At the end you still come to conclusion but certain things never do. Im a practitioner. I should balance up myself academically in this area.

I tried to google online class learning in this matter and there are soooooo many. It's all marketing statement. I cant tell which is better or which one suitable for me. Im hoping for any experienced member who have science & chemistry background can lead me so i can narrow down my choices.

Thanks

Warm Regards
R

Hi, Rivai. Below is a link to a basic cosmetic chemistry course that may be just what you're looking for. However, when I say free, you have to subscribe to to the blog in the first place. But I believe it is available to all subscriber levels, even the $1.00 subscription. So not totally free, but extremely well done and totally worth it. Susan is an amazing resource on all things cosmetic, from how to formulate to how to duplicate and so much more.

https://swiftcraftymonkey.blog/course-access/

She also co-authored this free online course, on Cosmetic Formulation:

https://learncosmeticformulation.com/

Dear Mrs.Earlene

Thank you for your reply. I just subscribe to both of the links given above. I dont mind paying, i actually looking for paid course. So its cool. I want to build stronger foundation.

Thanks so much for your recommendation.

Regards
R

Hi, Rivai. Below is a link to a basic cosmetic chemistry course that may be just what you're looking for. However, when I say free, you have to subscribe to to the blog in the first place. But I believe it is available to all subscriber levels, even the $1.00 subscription. So not totally free, but extremely well done and totally worth it. Susan is an amazing resource on all things cosmetic, from how to formulate to how to duplicate and so much more.

https://swiftcraftymonkey.blog/course-access/

She also co-authored this free online course, on Cosmetic Formulation:

https://learncosmeticformulation.com/

Earlene, have you taken either of those courses? Wondering how useful they are for a hobbyist who is still thinking about selling and will possibly include other bath products. I've purchased some recipes for a few products that require preserving, but over time I've become wary of the inventor's knowledge and have serious doubts about the safety of some of them. I'll need to up my knowledge before selling them (if I ever do).

@lenarenee
I second SwiftCraftyMonkey's blog. I have been a $10/month subscriber for about 18 months, and I love it! Susan really knows her stuff (all the hows, whys, & how comes are answered) , and she doesn't publish recipes until the formula has been ssuccessfully created & stable. Plus, each month you get an ezine with recipes. And, monthly coupons for products...and a supportive community.
There's lots of variety, from basic body butters to actives-filled face gels. There's something for anyone who has an interest.
I hope this helps!

Mobjack, Susan of SwiftCraftyMonkey comes highly recommended here. I used to follow her site before she went subscriber only and have been a subscriber since. She is excellent. Extremely knowledgeable and skilled in the cosmetics making arena and highly respected.

Lenarenee and Mobjack, yes I have begun both courses. My main objective was to be a step or two ahead of my granddaughter in her endeavors to created lotions and other cosmetic products she may develop an interest in making now that she has signed up for a workshop. I plan to work with her on both of these courses, but started first simply because I felt evaluation before recommendation was wise.

I can't help her with 'the New Math' but I can certainly help her with this type of thing. Plus she also plans to be a nurse, so the chemistry side of things will be a nice preliminary for college chemistry.

A great website I go to all the time is Chemist's Corner (all about cosmetic chemistry) and the author Perry Romanowski also has a (paid) course on cosmetic formulation, it's more advanced, I think, going into all the fun sciency stuff about formulating. I haven't taken it yet, but it's on my educational bucket list. chemistscorner.com/formulating-cosmetics/

Latest posts

Back