Caustic Soda

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessCharli

Reaction score
Am I able to use caustic soda 98%?! It says it’s “perfect” for soap making. (Newbie)

You cannot buy NaOH that is 100% pure. It just doesn't happen. The analyses I've looked at for commercial NaOH runs anywhere from 92% to 98%, with most running in the middle 90s. The NaOH I use is about 95-96% pure.

The OP's NaOH has a purity of 98% from the manufacturer, which means 2% is contaminants that naturally occur in NaOH. The main contaminants are water and sodium carbonate -- things that naturally accumulate in NaOH when it is exposed to the air. That's actually quite reasonable. Remember, however, that improper storage at the distributor and in your own soap kitchen can quickly reduce that purity, so store it properly!

Sometimes people confuse IMPURITIES with ADDITIVES. Additives are things intentionally added to the product. So some drain cleaners might be a mixture of NaOH and coloring and perhaps some aluminum particles. The colorant and the aluminum are deliberately added to the NaOH.

You cannot buy NaOH that is 100% pure. It just doesn't happen. The analyses I've looked at for commercial NaOH runs anywhere from 92% to 98%, with most running in the middle 90s. The NaOH I use is about 95-96% pure.

The OP's NaOH has a purity of 98% from the manufacturer, which means 2% is contaminants that naturally occur in NaOH. The main contaminants are water and sodium carbonate -- things that naturally accumulate in NaOH when it is exposed to the air. That's actually quite reasonable. Remember, however, that improper storage at the distributor and in your own soap kitchen can quickly reduce that purity, so store it properly!

Sometimes people confuse IMPURITIES with ADDITIVES. Additives are things intentionally added to the product. So some drain cleaners might be a mixture of NaOH and coloring and perhaps some aluminum particles. The colorant and the aluminum are deliberately added to the NaOH.

I actually googled around after posting this and did find your reply on someone else’s post, so thank you! Very helpful

Latest posts

Back