Cardboard for soap mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SundownWaterfowl

Reaction score
I have a cardboard box that would be a perfect mold. The cardboard is very very thick, and looks as if you could pour water into it, and it wouldnt make the cardboard fall apart.

Now, to use cardboard, do I have to line the box with parchement paper? If so, how do I do that?

Or can I just use vasaline to line the box?

Sorry.. I tried to find the link for you but wasn't able to. Somebody posted a link to a video on how to line a mold with parchment. Maybe someone else remembers where, or you can try searching for it - should be more than a week or so old. But yes, you should line it first. Or use a trash bag if you don't mind a few creases.

You can cut parchment to fit down one side, across the bottom and up the other side. Then cut another piece to go down the end, back across the bottom, and up the other end. You should have two pieces so one goes each way and all four sides and the bottom are covered. Make sure pieces stick up to grab and lift the soap out..

Those are good directions too. I still couldnt find the link, but remembered it was from youtube, so I went and found it there, in case it helps you also.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPm_-H2Yg_Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPm_-H2Yg_Q[/ame]

you need to line it. rubbing cardboard with vaseline isn't enough - remember soap "batter" is tremendously CAUSTIC and thus DANGEROUS.

Parchment is really not your best choice - freezer paper with a plastic side is much better. It's in the grocery store by the foil and stuff.

carebear said:
Parchment is really not your best choice - freezer paper with a plastic side is much better. It's in the grocery store by the foil and stuff.

:lol: Sometimes people just don't realize the simplist things... I've never used 'parchment' paper a day in my life.. I thought it was just a synonym for 'wax paper' or 'freezer paper'. Never realized they were three different things. I assume that parchment is wax paper without the wax?

wax paper is really thin paper with a wax coating
parchment paper is heavier than waxed paper and coated with a thin layer of silicone. the silicone is heat resistant whereas wax is not.

the most heat and moisture resistant are freezer and/or butcher paper:
freezer paper is heavier with a plastic coating on one side
butcher paper is basically identical to freezer paper, but often brown

I have been using freezer paper in cardboard boxes. I used wax paper one time and it stuck to my soap in an "I am now a part of your soap due to the heat produced" kind of way. My Freezer paper hasn't done this at all. Freezer paper is best for me at this point. Wax paper is no longer welcome in my home :)

Soon, I hope to have wood molds so that I can use the liners over and over!!

~ear

I used parchment paper for my first few batches (because I had it on hand). No problems with the paper. I've got permanent liners cut from plastic cutting mats for my molds now. Easy to deal with.

I used parchment paper for a long time. Then I switched to freezer paper. I prefer the freezer, its heavier and easier to remove. I rarely use it now since I bought some silicone molds, but keep it on hand in case I need to use the older molds.

This thread was started in 2008. I'm not certain why the person commenting today pulled it up to mention they use parchment.

This is happening a lot lately, people are not looking at when the thread was posted. It's mostly newbies and some spam.

I've got permanent liners cut from plastic cutting mats for my molds now. Easy to deal with.

I've heard one can do this with cutting mats. But, I've wondered how do you get them to stick together without the soap leaking. Is their a good place here or online? I've done a quick search on youtube, but nothing extensive because I had more to learn, bought one good wood mold and made some others from some boxes. Thank you in advance if anyone has any suggestions.

I've heard one can do this with cutting mats. But, I've wondered how do you get them to stick together without the soap leaking. Is their a good place here or online? I've done a quick search on youtube, but nothing extensive because I had more to learn, bought one good wood mold and made some others from some boxes. Thank you in advance if anyone has any suggestions.

This post is from 2008. Please read the forum rules regarding necroposting. You are welcome to start a new topic but please don't pull up really old posts. Thanks

Back