Caramelization...?! UPDATE

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetHoneyHandmade

Reaction score
First time making lye soap yesterday. I was impatient so I sped up trace on the stovetop, on medium heat. Did I mention I was impatient? I unmolded this morning. It was hard, but I could dent it with my finger and it also was crumbly around the edges. So I decided to rebatch. (Has ‘impatient’ come across anyone’s mind yet?). I didn’t like the sesame oil smell overpowering (I didn’t use any fo or eo), so I added pear juice. Left on my stovetop on low and came back to CARAMEL!

Do I need to scrap this batch or can it be saved? ::patiently:: awaiting your experience and knowledge.

Are you doing HP or CP? I think I would scrap it as well. You really need to give this the time and patience it needs. Do you really want to have to continue to throw things away when it can be avoided. I know how exciting it can be but good things can't be rushed (especially soap)

Update:
I think the “caramel” was the lye reacting with the juice. I got out my hand mixer (the old thing with two beaters) and it turned a coppery color, I thought it looked nice. Also it increased in volume like 3 times what it was!! Since I figured I had ruined this batch anyways, I poured into my loaf mold and silicone molds thinking it wouldn’t harden, cause I added nearly a cup of pear juice. Just to see what would happen.
The molds all sunk down quite a bit, but the individual bar molds are hard to the touch! I’m going to let them cure for quite a bit longer than 18 hours this time, and see what comes of it. The scrapings produce a nice lather, aren’t drying, and have a nice slip. We shall see...

Update:
I think the “caramel” was the lye reacting with the juice. I got out my hand mixer (the old thing with two beaters) and it turned a coppery color, I thought it looked nice. Also it increased in volume like 3 times what it was!! Since I figured I had ruined this batch anyways, I poured into my loaf mold and silicone molds thinking it wouldn’t harden, cause I added nearly a cup of pear juice. Just to see what would happen.
The molds all sunk down quite a bit, but the individual bar molds are hard to the touch! I’m going to let them cure for quite a bit longer than 18 hours this time, and see what comes of it. The scrapings produce a nice lather, aren’t drying, and have a nice slip. We shall see...

Are your mixer beaters stainless steel? If not chances are you’ve got some metal corrosion in your soap too. My beaters on my mixer aren’t stainless. They will chemically react with the lye.

Yes my mixer beaters are stainless steel. I unmolded from the silicone molds at 22 hours after pouring, they have improved from the original hardness, to my liking. The color reminds me of cocoa brownies, I have to watch my kids don’t try to bite into them!

Latest posts

Back