Canadian Soapmakers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindy

Soap Diva Queen
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - moderators if I am putting this in the wrong spot could I ask you to move it to the appropriate forum?

Okay so for the Canadian Soapers if you've been buying your lye from Home Hardware you need to know that they have changed it and it now contains, or seems to contain, fillers which do not dissolve in water. I just received my lkatest shipment from them and I am returning it because as a soap ingredient it is totally useless. I am so glad I had some lye still on hand from Voyageur so I can continue to get my inventory up.

At any rate - I thought I needed to share this with my fellow Canucks.

Cheers
Lindy

Thank you!

I've been getting mine from...Oh blast, what was the name? ufa? fda? one fo those three letter acronyms. The farmers supply store.

OH NO , that is the only place I have found lye here . I just got a case and it must be old stock , it is okay.

Thank you Lindy for posting . Glad you had more lye too . Crikey why can't they leave things alone ?

Kitn

Thanks for the head's up! I got my first jug o' lye from Home Hardware - it will keep me going for a little while, but I'll know not to get it there again, at least not without careful perusal of the label! :?

Oh no! That sucks! I have been buying my lye in bulk from there as I get a great deal on it since the owner is my boss! Agh!

Good to know though, thanks for sharing! Looks like I will have to order from Voyageur next time...

I am going to talk to the store owner next time I go there or phone her and ask about the lye , I have to wonder if they got a bad shipment in .

Kitn

Kitn said:
I am going to talk to the store owner next time I go there or phone her and ask about the lye , I have to wonder if they got a bad shipment in .

Kitn

Good idea!

Lindy - do the ingredients on the new stuff list anything else?

Thank you for sharing this info! I also get my lye at HH and my last container has ruined 3 batches of soap!!! At first I thought it was a new recipe I was trying, then after the third failure I realized it had to be the lye. ARGH!! And this with 3 shows coming up in the next 2 months! I'll be checking out UFA tomorrow...I'm getting desperate!

Ok this makes sense. I just got a new jug for Home hardware and it didn't all disolve or heat up the water and the soap is just a soft cheesy mess I have cut it and hope it will harden but is it safe? Will it harden? I am in Saskatchewan and wonder where I can get lye from as that was the only place in Saskatoon. Any suggestions?

Thanks for this so much it makes sense now.....

I just went to UFA (United Farmers of Alberta) and bought a 25 kg bag for $36.99!!! WOW! I was paying $23 for 3 kg at Home Hardware!

And I had the same problems with my soaps being crumbly and hard to cut. I'm going to leave my last (crappy lye) batch in a log for a week or so because the first piece I cut was kinda mushy/crumble-y...hopefully it might dry a bit more and cut smoother?!?!?! Here's hoping!

mcleodnaturals said:
I just went to UFA (United Farmers of Alberta) and bought a 25 kg bag for $36.99!!! WOW! I was paying $23 for 3 kg at Home Hardware!

Crazy how much the price varies... I pay $18 for the same jug at HH here!

I am visiting family in Saskatoon and called around looking for lye. Mayfair hardware on 33rd Street sells it.

I get mine from Creations from Eden in Edmonton. Not sure how the price compares, but it's only a 40min. drive for me so its convenient.

Folks, the original thread is 5 years old, so the info being discussed is probably out of date by now.

Latest posts

Back