Can you render your own pine tar and make soap (for humans)?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LatherMeUp

Reaction score
Was reading about rendering pine tar from pine sap and/or fatwood and saw someone say you coud make soap out of it. Have any of you done that? Is there other pine based soaps?

Re: Can you render your own pine tar and make soap (for huma

Having read some history of the naval stores industry in this part of the world I can't imagine anyone wanting to do that. It's a nasty process and if you're concerned about pine tar for humans I can't imagine any pine tar being safe for human consumption. Of course, that's just my humble opinion. That said, I'm sure you can do it and I am interested in hearing how it goes if you do.

I don't think it would be worth the trouble and on small scale the energy costs involved might outweigh the savings. It's cheap enough to buy at feed stores or through Amazon. At most, I'd use it at 20% of my total oil weight.

Are you looking for human safe pine tar? Does the image I posted in other threads have you concerned about human use vs animal? Pine tar is pine tar and not made for consumption by anyone, but you're interested in soap, not muffins. If I've got the wrong idea, sorry, no insult intended; I am just confused as to what you want.

I am looking for making pine tar soap that a human can use.

As long as you don't EAT the soap, you should be fine... :Kitten Love:

For anyone interested, I found this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8TSckDoG7Q&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8TSckDo ... re=related[/ame]

It uses the same pine tar that's in the other thread on here.

Latest posts

Back