Can you check this please?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgood86

Reaction score
Coconut Oil 6.4 40%
Grapeseed Oil 1 6.25%
Olive Oil 8.6 53.75%

add at trace:

1 TBSP Glycerin to help with the coconut oils drying effect
lye 2.3 oz
water 5 oz

soap at 110 F.

could I feasibly use whole milk instead of water for a lavender milk bar in a different batch?

Thank you.

This is just my opinion but I'd just up the SF instead of adding glycerin. Why are you using CO at 40%? You could reduce it a bit and up the OO. This would also make it less drying.

You could use millk as your liquid in another batch. I like using buttermilk or cream in my batches.

Because I read that using higher concentrations of OO makes it's cure time that much longer...hmmm. 20-30% maybe? No glycerin? Ok. I will make the rest of my soaps that way from now on. I am thinking of getting palm oil to include in the base oils and that would lower the CO amount as well. Just starting out I wanted to be as basic as I could to get "the hang of it" so to speak. Now that I am feeling a little more confident, I am more open to branching out a bit. Thank you. :)

Yes, OO takes a longer curing time to develop nicer lather. I did a bastile with 75% OO/25% PKO and it was usuable in about 4-6 weeks but I didn't like the lather. It wasn't until about 4 months later that I thought the lather was okay.

You don't have to reduce the amount of CO. You can just use a higher SF. I think your recipe sounds nice but I'd use a SF of at least 10% if not slightly higher. Do you have any other oils besides the 3 you listed. I like using castor in most of my batches.

My recipe that I am happy with is

Olive oil 40%
Coconut oil 25%
Palm oil 25%
Grapeseed oil 5%
Castor oil 5%

Maybe you can try that, they say the caster oil help with the bubbles in the soap, and I must say I love the lather I get with this recipe.

Oh ok, I can do a SF of 10%. I use the MMS lye calc and so it lists the variables nicely. I can def. pick up some castor oil. How does that react in the soap? I am going to get some Palm Oil to add but I don't want to get into the more expensive ones. I am not wanting to sell. These are just for my family and myself. :)

Castor adds conditioning and bubbles. You can find castor oil in the pharmacy section at Wal-Mart, etc. However, it's expensive to buy it this way. But if you just want to try it, then this would be the best way to get a sample.

I buy oils from soaperschoice.com. Your inital outlay is more but it works out cheaper in the long run. :D

You can also use lard or tallow in place of palm oil. I actually prefer lard over palm, I find it gives a harder bar. Castor is also a nice addition. As mentioned previously, it is very expensive to buy castor at the pharmacy. I buy it in 1L jugs for 13 dollars online.

If you have olive, palm, coconut, grape seed oil and castor you really wont need any fancier oils. You can make some great soap with those. I love grape seed oil. You can also make a fantastic massage or body oil with it.

Ok thank you Soapy Gurl. I will stick with those for sure then. I am making as many easy different kind and inexpensive kind of soaps as I can to put one of each in a package as Christmas Gifts. So far I have a plain soap for Sensitive Skin, Acne Soap, Honey, Lavender, Milk and Honey, and tomorrow I am going to make one I call Vanilla Shake which is just a heavy cream and vanilla fo recipe, and when my Brambleberry order arrives, I am making Hot Cocoa, and a Vanilla Shaving Soap. I am excited to make these newer ones. :)

Back