Can I use it in the shower?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullets

Reaction score
I have some bars from my very first batch from several weeks ago. It's made out of 100% lard with 5% SF. Well I used it in the shower and as I was washing I noticed when I went to wash off my hand was dragging across my skin. It def wasn't silky at all! LOL! I was wondering if this is normal? Or should I not use it in the shower? I also notice it when I was my hands. Same with when I wash my hansd with other soaps I've made at 8% SF. Feedback?

It might be your water. too hard or too soft at the house. Lard is OK in shower. Since it was all lard that explains why it was not silky.

What were your other formulas? What water are you using for soap making also, it is house water, distilled, rain?

Most of my soaps regardless of the recipe, start out sticky for the first couple of minutes and then become silky smooth with use. I have just started to add Tussah Silk into all of my recipes to help alleviate that issue. I don't use lard so I can't comment on that end of things.

Yeah some of my soaps do that too. I live on a well and have very hard water. If it does that I just lather the soap with a washcloth. I still prefer my slightly pully handmade soap over commercial soap.

Yes, you can use it in the shower. There are probably several things going on with your soap. An all lard bar is not going to be terribly bubbly or silky, but that's fine it will still be a great soap. You said you made it several weeks ago, how long has it cured? It will continue to improve in hardness, mildness, and lather as it ages, so you may want to wait a few more weeks. What you are feeling on your skin could be what is called "drag" but more likely it feels different because handmade soap is not totally stripping your skin "squeaky clean" like commercial soaps can.

Latest posts

Back