Can I rebatch this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kafm73

Reaction score
A recipe I used last week got all fouled up (I’m censoring myself lol, bc y’all seem like a nice bunch!) anyway, I think my mistake was accidentally stick blending my frag oil in bc as soon as I did, it started to VERY quickly clump. I probably also added it too soon? So, I’m left w soap that has suspended chunks of butters that I used, and then I thought maybe it didn’t trace at all but just naturally started hardening (I used a good bit of Shea and coconut). However, I was brave and did the zap test and got no zap...is this safe to rebatch? If it had failed the zap test, would there be any way to fix it ? Hot Process? I guess a related question would be “when is a failure best tossed in the trash?” I’ve heard soap-on-a-stick horror stories, where the result was best just tossed...

What was the recipe? What was the FO and where did it come from?
If the FO did not come from a soap supplier then it might not be skin safe so you would have to toss it.

Other than that just about every soap can be made into confetti and included in another batch of soap. But if the recipe or colour is awful then it won't be worth it.

If it didn't zap them it means the NaOH has been used up. There are other things that lead to people tossing out soap. HP will save a zappy soap but you'd need to know where you went wrong in the recipe to correct it and even if you do know where you went wrong it is sometimes not worth it.

What was the recipe? What was the FO and where did it come from?
If the FO did not come from a soap supplier then it might not be skin safe so you would have to toss it.

Other than that just about every soap can be made into confetti and included in another batch of soap. But if the recipe or colour is awful then it won't be worth it.

If it didn't zap them it means the NaOH has been used up. There are other things that lead to people tossing out soap. HP will save a zappy soap but you'd need to know where you went wrong in the recipe to correct it and even if you do know where you went wrong it is sometimes not worth it.
I’ll have to go through my folder to see which recipe, but it was heavy on the solid oils. I used cotton blossom type frag oil from Bulk Apothecary. I’ve used it before w no trouble, so I’m assuming my heavy handed mix technique or a combo of technique and ingredients lead to the acceleration...

Back