Can Caustic and Cement be stored together?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just double-checking my thinking here.

I have an air-tight drum with a liner for my bag of caustic.
I've got a bag of cement that needs identical storage conditions.
I was thinking to store them both in the same air-tight container.

Can anyone see a problem with this?

If each material is in its own separate plastic bag and the bags are in the sealed drum, it should work IF the cement is seriously really dry to begin with. If it is the normal garden variety cement from a big box store, beware -- it may not be nearly as dry as it appears. If so, you risk losing your NaOH, which is a powerful desiccant. No container is perfect, so you can't absolutely rule out moisture from the cement being absorbed by the NaOH.

If each material is in its own separate plastic bag and the bags are in the sealed drum, it should work IF the cement is seriously really dry to begin with. If it is the normal garden variety cement from a big box store, beware -- it may not be nearly as dry as it appears. If so, you risk losing your NaOH, which is a powerful desiccant. No container is perfect, so you can't absolutely rule out moisture from the cement being absorbed by the NaOH.

All other aspects are covered, but I did not purchase the anhydrous version (no need to for the cement).

I am not going to risk degrading my NaOH - much appreciated!

Also FYI cement does not last long unless really airtight. Those plastic lined paper bags it generally comes in are not moisture resistant. Best option is to wrap it really well in plastic and seal it. Or better yet - use it within 12 months max.

Yeah, that's why I was on the hunt for a spot to store it (it's inside, but that's not going to help for long around here, as you would know!).

It won't last 12 months (it'll get used up by the end of Summer - we have some rhubarb leaf stepping stones and candle holders to make) :)

Wrapped up it is ... (I might throw it in one of those plastic wheelie boxes as well, just to get it out of the way). Thanks.

Latest posts

Back