Brown Spots

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemini

Reaction score
I made an olive oil rebatch yesterday and added peppermint as an accent. Someone told me this herb would hold it's color in soap. It looked beautiful coming out of the molds, almost pure white with beautiful green flecks, but today it has brown spots all over and the soap itself has darkened from white to a yukky looking yellowish. I am thinking of melting the whole batch back down and putting in something to color it. Suggestions anyone? Do you think this would work?

yup it will work, i have had similar things happen with the use of herbs... the color leaches out of them and then into the surrounding soap, it wont hurt anything...just the color..thats all... but i would suggest adding something to color it if it bothers you,

Embrace the peppermint. Unless you steep them first (in oil or water) the leaves will turn brown. I made a peppermint/chamomile CPHP, steeped the leaves in a little water, & added them at trace with peppermint EO. OMG smelled horrible at first. At any rate, the leaves did discolor a bit even though I had steeped them, now I have a lovely, albeit very rustic looking, tan & green soap that I call "camo"mint. It's actually one of my favorites.
I would give it a little time before rebatching to see if the color changes, mine did. It started out white with green bits in it.

Yes, a beautiful white with green flecks of mint. Once out in the air for 24 hours though brown started leaching out the mint itself is staying mostly green but it must be the oils in the mint that are yellow and brown spots on my beautiful white soap!

Back