Brand New Here & To Soap Making!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinHoodFan

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I'm brand new to soap making and literally just started researching yesterday. This looks like some fun stuff and I cant wait to get started!! I've only ever purchased handmade soap twice...both times from the same seller on Etsy so I'm even new to using them..but I love the ones I have and would love to create my own scents and types!

My main concern and only problem I seem to be running into that I'm confused about is the Lye. I hear they took it off the shelves in the US or something? I have an ACE hardware and Lowes right by me (haven't check them out yet). But I just want to be certain I get the correct stuff. Any suggestions on what I'm looking for?

I've read some stories where some people say the bottle says 100% lye but the MSDS sheet said otherwise....was this just a freak accident or incorrect story or is this something I need to worry about? I just want to make sure I make my soaps safe and effective as I'd like to try selling them at some point too (provided I get the hang of this ;)) Does the lye have to be food grade? I hear people use Rooto? Is that safe? I have an Amazon gift certificate I'm looking to use and wondering if i can find everything I need there to get me started? What do you think of this lye? Seems to have good reviews: removed spammy link
How much of these products (oils butters, fragrances, etc) do you usually use for a small batch? Will 1lb amounts of this stuff be good for at least 1 batch?

Sorry if these are all repeated ?'s... I Haven't really taken a good look around here yet so if anyone can point me in the direction of some good threads where I can find tips, techniques, brands and where to get supplies that'd be really helpful!

Looking forward to joining the soap making community! :D

Thanks in advance!!

welcome aboard!

Hi! You are really lucky to have found this site as a beginner. My advice is study anything you can especially here. I think it calms the lye panic knowing what happens in situation A, B & C. You tube is great too as long as they're practicing common sense. I'd go to miller soaps site and soap calc For reading.
The lye you linked I'm not sure of. Depending where you live depends on access to lye. I can go to Walmart ,true value,or tractor supply. As long as it says 100% lye your good.basically if you have a lot of crystal meth activity its harder to find so online may be the way to go. I pay $3.99 a pound. If its not on display ask they may keep it behind the counter.
I started out with 2 lb batches. Small enough to not waste a million dollars if I royally screwed up however big enough that lye calculations made me nervous.
Id use the amazon card for things like a good scale, durable mold and decent stick blender. You can make wonderful bars with things local. Walmart has lard, coconut oil, shortening, Castor & olive oil. Those are great ingredients! Good luck sorry for such a ling reply, I could ramble about soap for days!! :lol:

The longer reply the better! Thanks! I had no idea Walmart has these things! I'll have to check next time I'm in the hardware stores for some lye.

I do have a postal scale so that should be good. Just curious, Do I need to use a stick blender? Can I stir by whisk? (asking for trouble i'm sure..lol)

I do need a mold...i found a few places where it tells you how to make your mold out of wood...I may try that but I may just give in and buy a good one.

Is there anything i should know NOT to do? Like ingredients that are unsafe to use in soap or something?

Like I said...still in the research stages. My biggest problem i have with starting any project/hobby is doing the initial "batch buy" ...I'm always so afraid i'm buying the wrong stuff or i'll be stuck with something I don't need and wasted precious funds on something I cant use.

Thanks again!

How accurate is your postal scale? I would definitely get yourself a stick blender. Otherwise you're going to be stirring for a long time. For a mold, you can use a cleaned out milk carton or a lined silveware plastic insert. Start with a small batch like 1 lb. For that size batch, I would convert the numbers to grams to get more accurate results.

soapbuddy said:
How accurate is your postal scale? I would definitely get yourself a stick blender. Otherwise you're going to be stirring for a long time. For a mold, you can use a cleaned out milk carton or a lined silveware plastic insert. Start with a small batch like 1 lb. For that size batch, I would convert the numbers to grams to get more accurate results.

Hi! Thanks!
My postal scale measures in 0.1 oz incriments ...that should be good right?

Those are great ideas for molds! I hear to use freezer paper for lining..can you use wax paper for lining?

Thanks again! :)

RobinHoodFan said:
soapbuddy said:

Hi! Thanks!
My postal scale measures in 0.1 oz incriments ...that should be good right?

Those are great ideas for molds! I hear to use freezer paper for lining..can you use wax paper for lining?

Thanks again! :)
For small batches, I would convert the ozs. into grams. You'll get more accurate measurements that way.

i almost forgot

I mentioned this in another thread but its a great tip for FREE molds for beginning or anyone really. Ya know when you see little face creams or tubes of hand cream on display ?look at the plastic tray they're sitting in. More than likely they're little disks, domes or oval cavities. They are amazing for soaps! Coat with vaseline on the inside so your soap pops right out. My dollar tree is great they save me them. Of course ask a worker but I can guarantee they'd be happy to give you them for nothing. I bring them soaps for being so nice.Walmart was extra generous at Easter. They had the trays with giant plastic eggs sitting in them.I'd check out your dollar stores, rite aids, cvs especially dollar tree if available. I used to use them 3x then toss out, now I use way longer. The ones I have I even used for crock pot HP. If not sure exactly what I mean search "free soap molds" on you tube. The vid is.from 1dreampainter, she's great that's who was smart enough to think of this idea! Good luck!

Re: i almost forgot

lovelysuds said:
I mentioned this in another thread but its a great tip for FREE molds for beginning or anyone really. Ya know when you see little face creams or tubes of hand cream on display ?look at the plastic tray they're sitting in. More than likely they're little disks, domes or oval cavities. They are amazing for soaps! Coat with vaseline on the inside so your soap pops right out. My dollar tree is great they save me them. Of course ask a worker but I can guarantee they'd be happy to give you them for nothing. I bring them soaps for being so nice.Walmart was extra generous at Easter. They had the trays with giant plastic eggs sitting in them.I'd check out your dollar stores, rite aids, cvs especially dollar tree if available. I used to use them 3x then toss out, now I use way longer. The ones I have I even used for crock pot HP. If not sure exactly what I mean search "free soap molds" on you tube. The vid is.from 1dreampainter, she's great that's who was smart enough to think of this idea! Good luck!

Awesome tip! Thanks!

P.S. Sorry haven't responded in awhile, been crazy busy and just got back from vaca. :) Still got alot to do before getting into the soapmaking.
I did check out my ACE and they do have the ROOTO stuff...looks like i'd be using that come time.

Back