Brand new CP soap question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtSluggo

Reaction score
I made my first two batches of soap yesterday, one was a very basic CP recipe. After making the HP recipe with a negative zap test, I wanted to get the impression of what it would feel like, so I tried to test the CP soap. No Zap there either.

Naturally this means I cut a little piece off one of the bars and washed my hands with it. It is actually pretty great, hands feel clean and soft. This is my first experience with old-fashioned soaps at all.

What issues are there with brand new CP soap if it isn't still zapping? I know it will get better with time, but I thought I might use it to wash my hands with it, cutting a new piece each week to see how it changed. Am I being risky using 48 hr old CP soap?

SgtSluggo, I've found that soap that young tends to make my hands dry out more than when they get older. Of course our recipes may be quite different; I don't know. As long as they aren't zapping, it's safe, but if you notice your skin seems to feel dry like happens to me, then I'd probably wait a bit longer before the next handwash. Some do suggest testing your soap that way every week to see the actual changes as they occur. If you keep notes about the changes you notice each week, you will have a good record of what to expect with the curing process and eventually a good idea of how long your recipe needs to cure to reach its maximum potential.

At 48 hours, most of the time saponification is complete so a zap wouldn't happen unless there is something wrong.

There is no problem using the soap. It isn't anywhere near as nice as it will be after a full cure, but weekly testing allows you to see and feel the difference.

I do it- I can't resist! As Earlene said, my skin does feel drier if I use only that soap each time I was my hands. So, I use it just every once and awhile just to see how it's doing...

Latest posts

Back