Bourbon in CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannon1227

Reaction score
My husband likes Bourbon and as a no I wanted to make him a soap using Bourbon. Would I boil it first to get rid of the alcohol like you would with beer? I searched the forum and couldnā€™t find a post about using Bourbon in soap.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
šŸ˜Š

I searched the forum and couldnā€™t find a post about using Bourbon in soap.
There's a reason for that... just like beer soap and soap made from vino, little of the scent remains in the soap and you have to bump the fragrance with a complementary FO or EO blend. šŸ˜‰

TEST: Shred up a few ounces of unscented soap. Put the shreds in a 1-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Add just enough bourbon to wet all the pieces. Nuke for 1 minute. Rest for 5 minutes. Using gloved hands, knead the shreds into a ball or press into a single cavity mold. After a day or so, you can tell if the scent is going to come through or not.

OPTION: Drink the bourbon.
Use BBā€™s Kentucky Bourbon FO to scent the soap.

Cheers! šŸ„ƒ :)

Or, make mustard with it (and drink it, too). I made this on Saturday, now it needs to sit for about a week but, oh my, it's good!

Attachments

• Bourbon Mustard.png
    Bourbon Mustard.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Well you canā€™t just post a picture without the recipe šŸ¤Ŗ
You ask, you get.

Bourbon Mustard, Dijon style

6 tbsp mustard seeds (1/2 white, 1/2 brown)
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp salt (I used Kosher)
1/8 tsp ground pepper

Mix the above in a small bowl and add:
4 tbsp white wine vinegar (plus more if required)
2 tbsp bourbon (I used Jim Beam)

Leave at room temperature for 24-48 hours, then blend to desired consistency. Pour into a jar, cap it, and refrigerate for at least a week. If it gets too thick, you can add a bit of water, bourbon, or white wine vinegar to thin it to desired consistency.

I tried making soap with whiskey and it was okā€¦.the whiskey FO I used overwhelmed any fragrance left from the whiskey itself (I mixed it with leather FO). My verdict: Whiskey is way better in your glass than in your soap. šŸ˜šŸ„ƒ
All of this kind of stuff is strictly about 'label appeal'...IMHO. Your soap is not going to smell like merlot, or Guinness or Folgers or pumpkin or cocoa (unless you use cocoa butter). I know a couple of soap makers on YT that make a big deal about how they only use "organic" coffee beans in their coffee soap and I'm like...what a waste of good coffee. With that said, cooking with a good wine versus a cheap wine does make a difference and it's best to always sample the wine while cooking.

You ask, you get.

1/4 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp ground pepper

Leave at room temperature for 24-48 hours, then blend to desired consistency. Pour into a jar, cap it, and refrigerate for at least a week. If it gets too thick, you can add a bit of water, bourbon, or white wine vinegar to thin it to desired consistency.
Thank you so much! Your recipe will be joining my family for Thanksgiving.

You ask, you get.

1/4 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp ground pepper

I don't know what I am using this for, but I bookmarked it. Sounds really yummy

Latest posts

Back