Borax Hand Soap for Blacksmith or other dirty work

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished my first attempt at this soap. I used 45% lard, 30% coconut, 20% olive, 5% castor, with 5% orange 5x EO, 3% cedarwood EO, and 3% d-limonene. Colored green like Lava soap just because. 😁 I’m going to give some to my farmer brother up in Iowa, so that was part of the reason for the high amount of lard. I also threw in a little corn silk, which will probably end up being more gimmicky than anything, but it fits the theme!

I used the ratio of pumice that Earlene had put in the recipe she shared, but it didn’t seem like hardly any at all. What’s been y’all’s experience with that amount of pumice? Can you even tell it’s there in the final product?

Here’s the cut soap I made yesterday. 😊
It did seem like a small amount of pumice, @VikingChick
IMG_1789.jpeg

Anyone want to offer me some additional guidance on dissolving borax? I tried 63g of borax in 25g fully boiling distilled water, and it was a thick sludge. I added a bit more boiling water at a time and must have added about double the 25g and possibly up to making a 50/50 borax-boiling DW mix. Even then, it was cloudy and needed constant stirring before I added it to my oils. Is this normal? What is your borax to boiling water ratio?
I seem to be the outlier who doesn't have trouble dissolving borax in boiling water, straight from my electric tea kettle. I'm not sure why mine doesn't require extra boiling; maybe it is a finer grind? Whatever the reason, I've read that quite a few folks add boiling water, dissolve it as much as possible, and then nuke it again (and sometimes again) until it is 100% dissolved. I think @Servant4Christ was one who did that?

I just finished my first attempt at this soap. I used 45% lard, 30% coconut, 20% olive, 5% castor, with 5% orange 5x EO, 3% cedarwood EO, and 3% d-limonene. Colored green like Lava soap just because. 😁 I’m going to give some to my farmer brother up in Iowa, so that was part of the reason for the high amount of lard. I also threw in a little corn silk, which will probably end up being more gimmicky than anything, but it fits the theme!

I used the ratio of pumice that Earlene had put in the recipe she shared, but it didn’t seem like hardly any at all. What’s been y’all’s experience with that amount of pumice? Can you even tell it’s there in the final product?
Our mechanic loves it! And so did our (former) landscaping guy, who not only mows and blows for a living, but is also a master gardener who shared his amazing tomatoes every summer. Two different types of grime, but they both said that soap cleaned really well without drying out their skin. I used Earlene's ratio of fine pumice and borax, added to my usual recipe of 60% lard or lard/tallow combo, 20% coconut oil/PKO, 15% liquid oil, and 5% castor.

I found it to be not quite enough either - I used a bit more the second time I made it. But I also add ground orange peel to mine. I didn't want to be overly brittle by adding to much stuff. I also think I could do with a medium grind pumice rather than a fine grind. However - feedback on the soap is good - similar to @AliOop 's feedback.

@KiwiMoose - could you advise on how much “a bit more” is when you are adjusting? I used 33g in my first try. If my testers want more, would you bump to say 50g or go crazy and double it to 66g? 😊
yes - hallelujah, I did write it down! I'm notorious for saying 'a bit more' and not measuring it. My first batch had 30g Pumice, and my second batch had 40g (that's for 1000g of oils).

Add the Borax to cold (distilled) water, stir, and then nuke it to the boiling point in the microwave. Keep hot until ready to use. This is something you don't want to make ahead of time. As the solution cools, the Borax particulates out and settles at the bottom, HARD AS A ROCK! No use trying to reheat it. It just won't cooperate. (Don't ask me how I know. :hairpulling:)
Sorry I'm late to the party. I agree this isn't something to make ahead of time, but I disagree that it can't be reheated because I've done it. Many times now. It does redissolve.

I seem to be the outlier who doesn't have trouble dissolving borax in boiling water, straight from my electric tea kettle. I'm not sure why mine doesn't require extra boiling; maybe it is a finer grind? Whatever the reason, I've read that quite a few folks add boiling water, dissolve it as much as possible, and then nuke it again (and sometimes again) until it is 100% dissolved. I think @Servant4Christ was one who did that?
Yep, that was me before I figured out I just wasn't getting my water hot enough to begin with. Now, I've learned to mix borax with room temp water (because that's how I store distilled water) and take note of the combined weight before heating in the microwave. I take the mixture to a full rolling boil and everything goes clear. I then reweigh and add more water to get back to the noted weight. Another option I've used (and now prefer) is starting with extra water because a good amount evaporates when boiled. I just note the weight of the actual intended amount before adding the extra water and boiling.

Last edited:
Yep, that was me before I figured out I just wasn't getting my water hot enough to begin with. Now, I've learned to mix borax with room temp water (because that's how I store distilled water) and take note of the combined weight before heating in the microwave. I take the mixture to a full rolling boil and everything goes clear. I then reweigh and add more water to get back to the noted weight. Another option I've used (and now prefer) is starting with extra water because a good amount evaporates when boiled. I just note the weight of the actual intended amount before adding the extra water and boiling.
Thank you and others for the advice on boiling the mixture. Yesterday I boiled water, added 33g borax to 33g of water and got sludge. I tossed that and tried again using 40g water and 33g borax. Same result. I then drained off what had liquified and used that, tossed the rest knowing that my soap wouldn’t have the same cleansing properties. I’m going to wait a week or two and give the soap a try to see if I like the amount of pumice then will try again and boil the borax water in the microwave. The good news is that this was my first ITPS and it is lovely. It is scented with @Zany_in_CO’s recommendation of lime, lemon, litsea cubeba and @AliOop’s recommendation of d-limoene and smells amazing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Thank you and others for the advice on boiling the mixture. Yesterday I boiled water, added 33g borax to 33g of water and got sludge. I tossed that and tried again using 40g water and 33g borax. Same result. I then drained off what had liquified and used that, tossed the rest knowing that my soap wouldn’t have the same cleansing properties. I’m going to wait a week or two and give the soap a try to see if I like the amount of pumice then will try again and boil the borax water in the microwave. The good news is that this was my first ITPS and it is lovely. It is scented with @Zany_in_CO’s recommendation of lime, lemon, litsea cubeba and @AliOop’s recommendation of d-limoene and smells amazing.
It’s very pretty. I’ll bet it smells wonderful.

Here’s the cut soap I made yesterday. 😊
View attachment 74520
Reporting back - got feedback from my Uncle that does a lot of mechanic, welding, gardening and other dirty/greasy stuff. Hoping everyone can give me some thoughts to tackle these elements.
Here’s what he said:
“been doing some serious grime stuff and used a couple of times”
Not sudsy enough - adjust the lard down and coconut up? I already use AVJ and sorbitol.
Needs more ruffage - I used 30g pumice, and planned to up to 40g based on @KiwiMoose modification. Should I go higher?
Got hands pretty clean but didn’t cut the gas smell - increase the d-limonene? Something else?
Needs to be shape like bar of soap - I’ll use my T&S loaf next time.

Suggestions? 🌸

IMG_5005.jpeg

@dmcgee5034 I'm stumped; our mechanic loves this stuff, and my recipe is pretty similar to yours. Here are the minor things that I do differently:

1) I don't typically use AVJ, but I do use sorbitol and citrate at 2% each of oil weight.

2) I've made him a few batches with 10% shea butter (subtracted from the lard), some with a lard/tallow mix, and some with CO/PKO mix - but he didn't notice any difference with any of them.

Wish I could be more helpful. Hopefully someone else can chime in and offer some suggestions. 🤷‍♀️

I'm not sure I'd up the CO as that's super drying, IMO. I think I'd try multiple exfoliants at different coarseness levels first. Maybe keep your pumice the same, but add in a bit of orange peel or coffee grounds which would also help with the odor factor. I've never tried ACV, but I use a whopping lot of honey in my version because it makes a huge difference in bubbles compared to the same recipe without it. Also, if I'm reading correctly, you're adding sodium lactate when there's already plenty of salt in the recipe. Could that extra salt be hindering the bubbles?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back