blackest soap possible

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarvan

Reaction score
Ok, my girlfriend and I were sharing a thought about what to get her bratty kids for Christmas and one thing we will give them is coal soap. But, I need to know how much activated charcoal ppo to use or if there is something else out there that will create a nice black soap.

I realize I am looking at some gray lather from it, but who cares?? If the kids wash clean, it's worth it. BTW...the kids are great. We were just creating a joke-like gift that doesn't include candy. That is unless I find a way to make it licorice scent!

Thoughts? Anyone done this before?

Iron oxide might work too. I bought some off ebay for $5 or something a BIG bag! I don't know if it would cause gray lather.

(now I'm gonna have to research it just so I know!) ;)

Anise eo will give you a black licorice scent , I love it .Black iron oxide works well for black , I got gray lather , but that is oaky .:D

Kitn

mix coffee grounds in the warmed oils... mix, mix, mix... and filter the grounds out with a piece of cloth. It's not quite black but it's a real dark brown.

charcoal powder. it's the only black I've found that doesn't make black lather.

people use between 1 teaspoonful and 1 tablespoon per pound of oils. at the high end you get a very slightly (seriously, barely noticeable) gray lather but that's it.

I love charcoal soap. It sells like hotcakes and is fun to boot.

This is an extremely lousy picture of a pretty bad batch - but it'll give you an idea of what charcoal can get you.
black.jpg

That soap looks lovely Carebear , I love the glossiness too, just makes me want to go and try it now, real Man soap! :lol:

I haven't tried the charcoal, though carebear's pic makes me want to.

But I have made a 'man soap' for a coworker that's black with a white bit and scented with rum and lime. I used the black oxide pigment from brambleberry, and it's exactly the color I wanted. It does lather a light greyish color, though.

IMG_1136.jpg

Both black soaps look really nice. :)

Swirling with a hot pink or hot green would probably be 8) 2.

Jude

Lovely soaps Artephius. Love the contrast. I have just made a soap this afternnon, with charcoal, I went to my art supplies and ground up a few sticks, we will see what happens, I have a feeling that I didn't add enough though, and it will be dark grey. :?

Latest posts

Back