Beginner

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhonda

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have not made any soap yet but am dying to give it a try. My daughter and I have horrible dry, flaky skin. I'm wondering if I can do a melt and pour and add exfoliating things such as pumice or dead sea salt and it turn out?

I have pretty dry skin, and the thought of using pumice or salt on my face is scary lol. This is a nice recipe I have used. You could add a softer exfoliant in it - jojoba beads, strawberry, blueberry, or poppy seeds.

Shea Butter Soap

1 lb. Melt and Pour (opaque)
1 Tbls. Jojoba Oil
1 tsp. Shea Butter
1 tsp. grated beeswax
Fragrance
no color or a very light pastel

This is a luxurious soap, that you will love to use on your face.
Melt in a double boiler. Use a drink mixer to incorporate all the ingredients well, then pour into molds. Spritz with alcohol to eliminate bubbles.

Makes a very very nice moisturizing bar.

I guess I didn't really make it clear that I wanted an exfolaiting body soap and possibly a different soap for the face. Thanks for posting your recipe it sounds like what I'm looking for.

rhonda said:
I guess I didn't really make it clear that I wanted an exfolaiting body soap and possibly a different soap for the face. Thanks for posting your recipe it sounds like what I'm looking for.

:lol: No, you were clear enough.... I just put the word 'face' in there as I misread it. My bad. The recipe is still good for the body, and I still don't think I'd want to scrub anything other than feet with pumice.

Sugar scrubs are nice too. I have *tons* of bath and body work shower gels that I don't plan on buying anymore now that I make soap, but I won't throw them out. I fill an old body scrub container with turbinado and brown sugar, put in a little oil (I try to use a different one each time, so I know what I like best - jojoba, sweet almond, avocado and grapeseed so far) and then add the body gel to it and stir it up. I really like it, it's very moisturing. You could also grate soap up and use that in it instead. It doesn't seem to go bad, and I think it's cuz of the tons of preservatives bbw has in it.

Shea Butter Soap

1 Tbls. Jojoba Oil
1 tsp. Shea Butter
1 tsp. grated beeswax
Fragrance

With this recipe am I right to assume that you can use grapeseed oil in place of jojoba oil, instead of shea butter maybe mango butter? I guess what I'm asking, is this a recipe that with a few changes can make many different varities of soap?

Yeah, you can sub them out. You can't always switch things out, but these two replacements are fine.

Try colloidal oats, they are not only soothing to the skin, but exfoliate as well. They can also be used on more delicate areas such as the face if you wanted a bar that can be used on body and face.

I use steel cut oats in my soap. It's a bigger grain as opposed to something like pumice so it's nowhere near as harsh.

I've noticed that the soap I make tends to dry out my skin, even though I add shea butter and use oils and have a goat milk base. What's causing this?

rhonda said:
Thank you, where can I purchase either item?

I bought my colloidal oats at the grocery. It is the store brand of oatmeal bath like Aveeno makes. It should be in the bath section.

I believe the steel cut oats should be in the cereal section, usually on a higher shelf in the high end oat cereals, though I have not made soap with them before.

Good luck!

I didn't realize they could be bought in the grocery store. Can you all tell I've never done this before...LOL!

I use steel cut oats as well. Love, love, love them! If you watch Amazon, you can get great deals on the McCanns canisters from time to time. I always stock up when they have it. Last time I got some, they were like 26 bucks for 8 canisters. SUPER cheap compared to the price in my stores around here (even the commissary at the base). I will keep an eye out and post when they are having a deal if y'all would like. :) Best thing ever for a warm breakfast or a great soap with scrubbies in it!

~ear

Healinya said:
I have pretty dry skin, and the thought of using pumice or salt on my face is scary lol. This is a nice recipe I have used. You could add a softer exfoliant in it - jojoba beads, strawberry, blueberry, or poppy seeds.

Shea Butter Soap

1 Tbls. Jojoba Oil
1 tsp. Shea Butter
1 tsp. grated beeswax
Fragrance

This is a luxurious soap, that you will love to use on your face.
Melt in a double boiler. Use a drink mixer to incorporate all the ingredients well, then pour into molds. Spritz with alcohol to eliminate bubbles.

Makes a very very nice moisturizing bar.

ok I know this may be a dumb question, but what is a drink mixer?

eargirly said:
I use steel cut oats as well. Love, love, love them! If you watch Amazon, you can get great deals on the McCanns canisters from time to time. I always stock up when they have it. Last time I got some, they were like 26 bucks for 8 canisters. SUPER cheap compared to the price in my stores around here (even the commissary at the base). I will keep an eye out and post when they are having a deal if y'all would like. :) Best thing ever for a warm breakfast or a great soap with scrubbies in it!

~ear

As promised in this statement, I am letting you know that Amazon has their steel cut oats on sale again.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EO5U3I

Look at Special Offers Available and use the codes, etc. It should come out to about 17.50 for four canisters. Not the best deal I have seen them run on these, but still pretty good. Hope that helps someone :)

~ear

Last edited by a moderator:
Back