Beer + Lye = Spew Face...& question about watered down b

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuckoo Bananas

Reaction score
People said how bad the beer and lye smell was when you mixed them together, saying it is bad didn't quite prepare me for just how ghastly and putrid it was, a few times I had to step back to get away from it...ewk it was nasty!

Now I have a little bit of beer left over, maybe about 1/3 of the amount I would use for a whole batch, rather than chuck it out, can I just mix it with water to make a full amount for my next batch?

I must be strange 'cos I actually like the smell of Lye with Beer and Tea :D Dunno why but I think it smells yum. lol

If you reduced your beer down to start with, then it will be full of goodies and you can top it up with water for next time.

I don't mind the smell either :oops:. At first I hated it but I guess it has grown on me?! My husband on the other hand HATES the smell. I literally just made a batch before coming on here and he was yelling from the other room "are you making that beer soap again? It stinks! Can't you do that in the day when you can open the doors?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Beer + Lye = Spew Face...& question about watered do

Cuckoo Bananas said:
People said how bad the beer and lye smell was when you mixed them together, saying it is bad didn't quite prepare me for just how ghastly and putrid it was, a few times I had to step back to get away from it...ewk it was nasty!

Now I have a little bit of beer left over, maybe about 1/3 of the amount I would use for a whole batch, rather than chuck it out, can I just mix it with water to make a full amount for my next batch?

Sure, you cn mix the beer with another liquid When I boil mine down, I usually come up just a bit short of the full liquid amount, so I top it off with an ounce or two of water.

Do you freeze your beer before you mix in the lye? I keep waiting for the nasty smell everybody talks about, but it smells like saltine crackers to me. :lol:

Anita

Whew! I can hardly handle the smell either, I have to hold my breath when I get near to stir, step away take a deep breath and repeat til it's all mixed good and then I cover with glad cling wrap and a towel around it, but can still smell it all through out the house! It sure does make some great soap, so I guess it's worth it! I always use a strong lager type such as Guiness and a couple others..I wonder does the cheaper beer work just as good in soap?

Latest posts

Back