Bay Rum soap fragrance questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Load281

Reaction score
Hello, I'm relatively new to the soap making community and have a few questions.
I want to make a bay rum soap using Bay, Black Pepper and either Lime or Lemongrass essential oils. The eo concentration will be at 1-1.5% and 5-1-1 ratio (bay=5). First, when using fragrance calculators do I enter the most prevalent scent and ratio it out? Should a "top note" scent be the largest ratio? And should I worry about using photosensitive oils in soap? If so, what percent should they be limited to?
Thanks for any help,
Lloyd

P.S. Any tweaks or suggestion to the fragrances are appreciated.

I would soap this at 2-3%, personally. I'm not sure if the 1-1.5% would be sufficient.

I'd try 2 lime, 2 bay rum, .5 black pepper to start and then tweak from there. The bay rum and the pepper will probably accelerate trace, so be prepared.

I wouldn't worry about the photosensitivity in soap too much as it's a wash off product. Also citrus oils tend to fade in CP so I'd push the lime a little higher than you like as some of it will likely fade out.

I just did a blend of key lime, bay rum, vetiver, amyris, patch and clove bud and it turned out really nice! I thought of using black pepper but at the last minute I subbed the clove. Soaped at 3% of oil weight.

Back