Bath Tea Labeling?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
I did a search but I couldn't seem to find anything. My question is, how are you supposed to label bath teas? I'm assuming that they would fall under the cosmetic category, am I correct?

I would label with ingredients in descending order using INCI names. Make no claims about soothing or healing etc.

For the US everything I can find says ...A "cosmetic" is any product that a customer would apply or introduce into their body for the purposes of beautifying themselves, such as lotion, skin creams, perfume, deodorant and even toothpaste. It also applies to products that alter the appearance such as makeup, permanent waves, hair dye and nail polish. And we're not finished yet; "cosmetic" also applies to any product intended to cleanse the body that is not a "soap," such as shampoo.

I am not sure where a bath tea comes into that. But for labeling,
If a cosmetic product is marketed on a retail basis to consumers—such as in stores, online, or “person to person”--the ingredients must be listed by their common or usual names, generally in descending order of predominance. FDA requires this information under the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act (FPLA). To learn all the requirements, including sources for ingredient names, read the regulation at 21 CFR 701.3.
http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/Labeling/IngredientNames/ucm2005218.htm

I think of a bath tea as a supplement, however I very much doubt the federals agree with me. I would list the ingredients in descending order from highest to lowest, using both common and INCI names. I would also include your website, address, phone number, etc. on the labels.

Back