Bath bombs and polysorbate ???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashvegasley

Reaction score
I have searched the threads and anything I might comment or ask a question on is quite old and I dont want to start a resurrection lol.

My question/delimma is that I have a bath bomb recipe that I like and works well imo. It contains polysorbate 80 to help with the oil and mica ring left behind. I had family members request that they not contain the polysorbate 80, so I made them without. Then they complained of the mess left behind and the effort it took to clean the tub (minimal but understandable.) They want the bombs but without the nasties but also without the clean up. Are there any other alternatives to the polysorbate? I increased my powders (arrowroot, cornstarch, and kaolin) which helped with the oil but not the color. Any help is appreciated thanks in advance.

I followed the link to the thread and looked at all the info and so far it looks maybe like what I'm looking for! It gives me an excuse to go ahead and make an order at least lol. I'll experiment with it and see how that goes. If I wanted to share how it went would I reply to this thread or start a new one?

I have searched the threads and anything I might comment or ask a question on is quite old and I dont want to start a resurrection lol.

My question/delimma is that I have a bath bomb recipe that I like and works well imo. It contains polysorbate 80 to help with the oil and mica ring left behind. I had family members request that they not contain the polysorbate 80, so I made them without. Then they complained of the mess left behind and the effort it took to clean the tub (minimal but understandable.) They want the bombs but without the nasties but also without the clean up. Are there any other alternatives to the polysorbate? I increased my powders (arrowroot, cornstarch, and kaolin) which helped with the oil but not the color. Any help is appreciated thanks in advance.

You didn't say WHY they didn't want the PS80 ? Sure it is derived from Shea but at almost twice the cost.

What about changing the Mica for waterbased colours? The ones I use dissolve in water and leave no stains or rings around the tub.

You didn't say WHY they didn't want the PS80 ? Sure it is derived from Shea but at almost twice the cost.
They have read that polysorbate 80 has side effects of being carcinogenic and causing hormone disruptions as well as skin irritation. I understand the concern though I don't necessarily agree with their opinion. We as makers understand the science and concentration usage behind these ingredients but as a consumer they see it in the ingredient list and say its harmful and want an alternative. I have used liquid dye in the past but I make soap primarily and I always have micas on hand. The same family members also think that while micas are natural (debatable since alot have synthetic additives for coloration) they believe lab colors are synthetic and bad. It's kind of walking that fine line between performance/natural/opinion where I would like to try to make them happy and make things they will use.

Oy, the things we do for family.....

If the shea 50 is the only fat in the recipe (I don't make bath bombs), then I think it would work fine. But if you have other fats in the recipe in addition to the shea 50, I doubt the shea 50 will be a good solution.

PS80 is a solubilizer/emulsifier as well as a low sudsing cleanser. It is able to emulsify a small amount of fat in a large amount of water-soluble liquid. That is the reason why the tub stays cleaner with PS80 bath bombs. The shea is water soluble so it will rinse cleanly, but it's not an emulsifier so it can't help with other fats if present in the BB's.

Latest posts

Back