Barley Wine - Beware!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjfan74

Reaction score
Just a word to the wise...when using barley wine in making beer soap....be warned...it likes to bubble up....a lot! Even after boiling it down last week...and letting it set open in the air for week (boiled last Sunday, just used now) I still had an over bubbly volcano type of reaction! I have made plenty of beer soaps in the past and have only boiled them down...never waited a week, and never had any issues....so today was a surprise! However, I managed to salvage/ save and continue on...has now been poured into my column mold...excited to see how this turns out! The color was really pretty and I added the grains we use to brew (ground up) for exfoliation. I used a combo of Orange 10x EO, cedarwood EO, Frankincense EO and Patchouli. Took half of batter and mixed in titanium dioxide to lighten up, did in the pot swirl then poured...everything worked out well...with the exception of the barley wine volcano to start the day!

Do you make your own Barley wine? I've never seen it for sale, of course I'm not quite the wine connoisseur :)

Awesome !!! I'm a brewer as well and I have a a few barleywines and lambics and flanders reds in primary right now. What percentage of the barley wine did you use? or do you just replace the water with the beer ? I know this may be a very noob question but I am a noob to soap making beer is another story I'm 20 years deep there.

If you add the lye slowly while stirring that should help with the volcano effect! That essential oil combo sounds divine.

We did not make this Barley Wine...I used Horn Dog from Flying Dog Brewery! It's a great Barley Wine and Flying Dog is local for me and I love supporting them when I'm not drinking my own beer...well, to be fair...the beer is my husbands thing but we work on it together. In fact, we made a beer last night and used Elderflower in it...setting in the primary right now but before we put it there, I save enough wort for my next batch...it smells so good!
Aschecte - I used only the beer, did not replace any with water.
Nevada - I have never tried Hop Oil EO - do you have a supplier you would recommend?

Cut the soap last night, it has darkened just a bit after cutting...I love the color! The Barley Wine Beer was a deep dark color with hints of red...I can't believe how light the end product turned out...and I love it! I tried a little sample after I cut to see how the lather was and it's amazing! I love the lather that beer soaps create!

Barley Wine Soap 3 - 2:13:13.jpg

Back