Banana, oats & honey gone wrong

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I discount the water in my recipe by the # of ounces of banana puree I am going to use. So a 50oz batch has 5 ounces of banana puree along with the other additives. I stick blend the banana like crazy and then strain it.....sometimes twice. I use a recipe I like and it works great. It does gel quickly though. So there is no way I would wrap it up and leave it for 8 hrs like I do other soaps. I wrap and check, keeping a close eye on it and when its complete I cool it down by taking off the lid and/or even sticking it in the fridge for a little bit. It only takes mine about 2 hrs to be completely through gel and then I have it in cool down.

eta....sometimes I don't gel it though. It comes out prettier if I prevent gel.

That sounds like a good idea. I was worried about discounting the water but didn't know how much I should, so I didn't this time. We'll see what it looks like when I unmold it. I also didn't strain my banana, just mashed it/whisked it with a fork for a while. I used a very small amount so I figured that was good enough.

That sounds like a good idea. I was worried about discounting the water but didn't know how much I should, so I didn't this time. We'll see what it looks like when I unmold it. I also didn't strain my banana, just mashed it/whisked it with a fork for a while. I used a very small amount so I figured that was good enough.

You can add lots of different purees by discounting the liquid and sub the puree for the amount discounted. But the thing I would worry about with the straining is that if there were big-ish pieces of whatever the fruit is then that may give a place for mold to take hold somewhere down the road. So, it may be a shorter shelf life. Especially if no water discount is taken. Of course that doesn't mean it WILL happen. But that is what runs through my over analytical thoughts. I have some soaps done with the method I described that are about 9months old. They are nice and hard and no DOS or anything like that.

eta.....I have some persimmons that I just scooped out today......I'm trying to decide what fragrance/design to use with it :smile: I even had a weird idea the other day to do a PB&J soap. Crazy I tell ya! LOL

Last edited:

you are really not discounting your liquid, you are only subtracting from your amount of liquid and replacing with your puree. Water discounting is using less water than is considered full water. When using soapcalc it would be set at 38% for full water which is about 6oz liquid ppo.
I use banana a lot in soap when I have a bananas going to waste. Same with avocados

Thanks for the response :) I ended up altering one a bit that I found online, I used olive, palm, and coconut oils and shea butter, and added about 1/4 small ripe banana and 1.5 tsp finely ground oats (I use a tiny 1 pound silicon mold for all my soap making). And sprinkled some whole oats on top. The consistency was in line with every other soap I've made so I'm feeling optimistic!

Sounds awesome. This is making me hungry :smile:

Latest posts

Back