Avocado. To gel or not?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyE

Reaction score
I am going to make an avocado soap with puree. I have recently not been gelling and trying to keep my soaps cool, but with having avocado in it, do I need to make sure it gels? I rather like ungelled better these days.

I am not worried about it turning brown...figured it would. I think my cooking brain just thinks that in order for it to not go bad in the soap, it should gel or cook the avocado. But in actuality, saponification is not cooking the oils, but a chemical reaction. So, if I would have just thought it through...I would have answered my own question.

Seems like best to add the avocado with the oils too.

From what I've read, definitely add the avocado to the oils or to the soap at trace, not to the lye. I added a tablespoon ppo at trace, but next time I will try pureeing a significantly higher amount of avocado with some oil, and mixing it in with the rest of the oils.

You can always add GSE to your oils for preservative (as it is said it acts as a preservative in soap, but not actually used as a preservative)

I used avocado, pumpkin, bananas... after 6months although brown was still ok for use. You can always put on the bar, better used before "date"

Thanks for this thread SimplyE! You needed to post this question because I am making an avocado soap tomorrow and wanted to know a few things (lol) :wink:

Thanks for all your replies - now I know what I am doing. :D

Anyone have a favourite scent they like to add to avocado soap?

Tanya :)

topcat said:
Anyone have a favourite scent they like to add to avocado soap?

LOL! I am working on it now and wondering what to scent it with, as well!!! I will let you know how it goes :wink:

Starting with 1 Tbs Avocado pulp ppo and will stick blend it in the oils. Keeping it at a 5% superfat, though another thread said they dropped it down to 3%.

I just made a batch of my Avocado Mint and I use an FO by the same name.

Mine has no actual avocado in it but I did HP and added about 5% avocado oil for superfat after it gelled along with the FO. I also used a kelly green liquid colorant this time which really makes the soap look like an avocado.

I just made this soap, last week, but I added the avocado to the oils and blended really well. I then added the lye water. It came out fine. It is a tan color.

CiCi said:
I just made this soap, last week, but I added the avocado to the oils and blended really well. I then added the lye water. It came out fine. It is a tan color.

How much avocado did you add? I unmolded mine, and it is lovely with no discoloration. I made a bastille with GM, and it is the same color as my regular bastilles. I added 1 rounded tbs ppo.

Avocado. To gel or not? Pic added

So I was expecting this to turn brownish, but it did not. I am quite pleased with it. I used 1 heaping Tbs ppo, and it is this nice creamy color. This is a bastille with GM. Wonder if I should have/could have used more avocado? I scented it with rosemary EO and lavender EO.

Topcat, how did your's turn out???

I am making it shortly (as in after my coffee, lol).....I have finalised the recipe and the method, thanks to this thread! When it's done I will get back to you on that.

Tanya :)

Latest posts

Back