Attempting my first goat milk soap, couple questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kniquy

Reaction score
I bought powdered goat milk a couple months ago but have just gotten to the point where i want to venture into trying. This will be a CP soap. I am not sure if I am on the right path. I measured my distilled water for my 2# batch of soap. To this i added my GM powder and froze it into ice cubes. My plan is to use this the frozen goat milk to mix with my Lye. Is this ok?

I have read some add the powder to the oils, some add in a portion of the water for the recipe after the lye has been mixed into the other portion of water . Is there anything wrong with the way I am going about it?

It seems like over heating is a concern with adding milk to soaps - would it be better to use individual molds or just stick with my 2# mold but put in the freezer.

I guess this is a trial and error batch as I am sure I will learn what does and doesn't work.

Be sure to add the lye a little at a time to the frozen goat's milk, stirring well after each addition. You might also want to strain the lye/milk solution to make sure you don't add any undissolved lye to your oils. As the others stated, it is easier to add the powdered milk to your oils or at thin trace.

Nothing wrong with doing it the way you are, but you've chosen the method with the maximum amount of effort required.

Nothing wrong with using GM in a 2# loaf. I've done several GM and honey (@ 1 Tbs PPO) in 1# and 2# molds. The only time I had an issue was when I CPOP'd one, it overheated but not to the point of a volcano. I've not frozen or refrigerated any of them; I've typically covered them with a few blankets and left them for 24 hours. If you want to avoid gel, then you would want to consider freezing or sticking to individual molds - or both.

Have fun with the soap and experimenting. Goats milk makes the BEST soap IMO.

Latest posts

Back