Are all castile soaps slimy?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by adoptapitbull, Jul 11, 2011.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jul 11, 2011 #1

adoptapitbull

adoptapitbull

adoptapitbull

I made two castile batches back in April. I did an 80% OO, 10% CO, 10% canola/soybean blend recipe. Finally gave them a try in the last few days. Made one with water instead of GM, and the other with GM and coffee with coffee grounds. The one with water is pretty decent. The one with coffee is super slimy...like, hard to wash off slimy. Leaves a lot of goop behind on the tub when you set the bar down.

I can't imagine that it's the coffee making it slimier than usual. What gives??

2. Jul 11, 2011 #2

MissMori

MissMori

MissMori

Yep, castile is slimy. You can reduce the slime a bit by doing one of the hot process. I always put mine in the oven at 150F for about 4 hours after pouring into the mold. It will darken if you used milk or a sugar in it.

3. Jul 11, 2011 #3

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin  

The 'slime' is typical of Castile soaps. It comes from the high oleic acid content of olive oil. It's one of the most soluble of the fatty acids, which in high OO bar soaps tends to transform into a colloidal suspension in the presence of water. You'll see the suspension as a coating of gel on the surface of your olive oil soaps when wet from bathing. If you touch your finger to the gel and then slowly pull your finger away, you'll see strands of goo connecting your finger to the soap. When dry, though, it reverts back to a non-gel state. A well-draining soapdish is an absolute must for Castiles.

IrishLass :)

4. Jul 11, 2011 #4

krissy

krissy

krissy

5. Jul 12, 2011 #5

carebear

carebear

carebear

CP or HP, olive oil soap gets slimy. Loooooooooong cure, good draining dishes, soaping with less water to start with all help both. But overall, oleic acid soaps just are what they are regardless of the method.

IME. IMO.

6. Jul 12, 2011 #6

busymakinsoap!

busymakinsoap!

busymakinsoap!

there was a poster here once who said that he had been having problems with coffee soap (not sure if castile) and he thought it was due to the acidity of the coffee.

Could the acid levels affect the slimyness?