Any serious food dehydrator people here?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
Anyone have a dehydrator that isn't one of the small Walmart round kind?
Like one of the larger 9+ sheets, maybe not the Excalibur but an off brand name?

I have the round one, which is fine but I would like one that is Square and has more flexibility in Temp and timer. The round Walmart one doesn't have that.

I am searching on Amazon and I see Gourmia and Magic Mill brands and wonder if they are just as good.

I have an Excalibur after going thru 3 of the round ones. I have never heard of the brands you are talking about though. I love my Excalibur and feel its worth every penny I spent on it. it doesn't have a timer on it so I don't know how needed a feature that is. I would imagine you would still have to watch things. you get so much more in the square ones and with the fan being in the back it gets at all the food evenly. in my opinion with dehydrators you get what you pay for

have you ever done dehydrated yogurt? people I make that for love it. the apples are close to ready so I will be dehydrating apples--people really love those too

Last edited by a moderator:
I also love my Excalibur and also think it is worth every penny. My daughter who accidentally, yeah right, packed it when she moved, so now it is my Ex. Not having a timer has never been an issue for me either, and it does have temp control. I would not buy any other

I have a square one can't remember the brand. Like it a lot. I've not ever used the timer on it. I like to dehydrate veggies (for soups etc) and make jerky. Have also done some fruit.

I have a square one can't remember the brand. Like it a lot. I've not ever used the timer on it. I like to dehydrate veggies (for soups etc) and make jerky. Have also done some fruit.

if you like yogurt you should try dehydrating that. I usually buy a strawberry pail of it. it comes out like taffy.
I gotta say the square ones are so great cuz you can fit so much more on the trays and with the fan in back it blows across all the food instead of having to work upwards thru everything.
I did enough onions last summer for a few years and every once in a while still get a whiff of onions in the garage

if you like yogurt you should try dehydrating that. I usually buy a strawberry pail of it. it comes out like taffy.
I gotta say the square ones are so great cuz you can fit so much more on the trays and with the fan in back it blows across all the food instead of having to work upwards thru everything.
I did enough onions last summer for a few years and every once in a while still get a whiff of onions in the garage
I make my own yogurt in my instant pot. Might have to give that a shot.

Taffy Yogurt ???
Can you use store bought fruit yogurt?
Darn it you all are making this hard for me NOT to buy one ;)

I only use store bought for it--I make my own yogurt in my insta pot too but I only like it with strawberry yogurt from the store--it might just be me though :)

PROTIP: do not put nuts to dehydrate and then move the dehydrator outside because it's too hot in the house.....

PROTIP: do not put nuts to dehydrate and then move the dehydrator outside because it's too hot in the house.....
What Giant Squirrel came to your house ?
LOL

Hmmm speaking of outside. Anyone ever put it on the deck/desk table during good weather due to the heat inside issue? I don't mean in the rain or dead of winter. Just wonder if there were any issues... other then attracting wildlife

I only use store bought for it--I make my own yogurt in my insta pot too but I only like it with strawberry yogurt from the store--it might just be me though :)
How do you store your dehydrated yogurt? Frig? Freezer? I am very intrigued. I would never have thought about dehydrating yogurt!

I have two non brand name Excaliber square dehydrators and have used them for many years. I have a friend with a the real deal and compared to the price I can't find a whole lot of difference. Just make sure that there is a fan in the back and that it has temp control. I just could not afford the price. I have dehydrated so much from meats, herbs, and fruit leathers, all with great success.

LOL

Hmmm speaking of outside. Anyone ever put it on the deck/desk table during good weather due to the heat inside issue? I don't mean in the rain or dead of winter. Just wonder if there were any issues... other then attracting wildlife

it doesn't put out that much heat---the only time I move mine to the garage is when I am doing onions or mushrooms

Last edited:
I am getting ready to buy one. I am looking at the Excalibur or one like that. Don't know anything about the process but I have bought a couple of books to help me along the way. I have a lot of shtf preppy in me lol.

How do you store your dehydrated yogurt? Frig? Freezer? I am very intrigued. I would never have thought about dehydrating yogurt!

I put it in the fridge--it doesn't usually last very long though. I spread mine out on the liners on the tray and try to get the edges higher (I use a big frosting spatula) I try to cover the whole liner and spread it out around an 1/8 of inch on the inside. when its dry I roll it up and cut it into bite size pieces with a clean scissor and put back in to dry the cut edges up a bit. if it doesn't let loose when rolling it--it isn't ready and I just put it back in. there are articles on google also

I usually buy 3-4, 5 pound containers of yogurt when I do it and I could probably get another one in there. I have people asking when I am going to make more of it

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL

Didn't need to be giant...regular sized ones were plenty effective.
I had put it outside when drying apples or cherries or kale for years, but then once did walnuts. But I was thinking ahead, and put an upside-down laundry basket over top. So I ended up with a chewed-up laundry basket and a chewed-through cord. Unfortunately, it wasn't even running at the time (i had briefly unplugged it as I was worried about it over-heating in full sun): maybe a little shock would have warned them away.
Anyway, when she heard about it, my wife said "It's getting that you can't even put nuts out on the deck without squirrels getting into them!"
(I mean, when you put it THAT way....)

I bought an inexpensive one at Walmart to do my dried herbs for soaps. I do plantain, dandelion, jewelweed, and mints; I use them for infusions in oils and for teas for soap. I do wish it had a timer. I am intrigued by doing yogurt........and would love to do meat and fruits. What kind of tray or liner will work for yogurt? Also, is it same to assume that the dehydrator I use on the herbs and greens is ok to do meat etc and vice versa?

I have two non brand name Excaliber square dehydrators and have used them for many years. I have a friend with a the real deal and compared to the price I can't find a whole lot of difference. Just make sure that there is a fan in the back and that it has temp control. I just could not afford the price. I have dehydrated so much from meats, herbs, and fruit leathers, all with great success.
Do you have a pic of them ? And what brand ?
There are a few on Amazon that are clearly the same but different names.

Back