Another preservative question.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience, yes.
If it's got water in it, it needs a preservative.
Also, if you add things, like herbs, to vinegar, eventually the vinegar/herb mixture grows mold as well. I did an experiment with that one time after someone told me that vinegar was an effective preservative.

so if I put dill in my Lemongrass soap, I should have put a preservative?

Since I didn't, how long do I have before something nasty starts to happen?

jkm8113 said:

If it's soap, then you don't need a preservative. Cold Process soaps have a pH level that does not allow mold or bacteria growth.

Genny said:
jkm8113 said:

If it's soap, then you don't need a preservative. Cold Process soaps have a pH level that does not allow mold or bacteria growth.

Thank you, so much to learn.

That's what I thought. I came across a product for pets with no preservative. They are using the vinegar as the preservative at 10%.

Kwpgrooming said:
That's what I thought. I came across a product for pets with no preservative. They are using the vinegar as the preservative at 10%.
Just shows how important it is to read ingredients labels before making a decision to purchase..................I personally would not be keen to put that on our dogs skin

Kwpgrooming said:

Sadly I've seen things like that, too. Poor animals :(

Latest posts

Back