Anaylitical or Technical Grade of Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbence93

Reaction score
Hey Soapmakers,
I was wondering whether you are using lye of analytical or technical grade. Myself have never tried the technical grade one, but I consider switching to that, as it is way cheaper. What are you experiences?

There's truly no benefit to using analytical grade NaOH for making soap. The regular commercial (tech grade) NaOH is fine. The commercial NaOH I get is at 97% purity as it comes from the manufacturer.

You can compensate for the difference between the "ideal" 100% purity and the actual % purity by reducing the superfat in your recipes by the difference between 100% and your actual NaOH purity.

NaOH quickly reacts with carbon dioxide and absorbs water from the open air, so it's essential to properly store NaOH in a dessicator (air-tight low-humidity enclosure) after purchase. That's especially true for analytical-grade NaOH. If you are storing the container of analytical-grade NaOH in the open air, your NaOH will not be analytical grade for long.

There's truly no benefit to using analytical grade NaOH for making soap. The regular commercial (tech grade) NaOH is fine. The commercial NaOH I get is at 97% purity as it comes from the manufacturer.

You can compensate for the difference between the "ideal" 100% purity and the actual % purity by reducing the superfat in your recipes by the difference between 100% and your actual NaOH purity.

NaOH quickly reacts with carbon dioxide and absorbs water from the open air, so it's essential to properly store NaOH in a dessicator (air-tight low-humidity enclosure) after purchase. That's especially true for analytical-grade NaOH. If you are storing the container of analytical-grade NaOH in the open air, your NaOH will not be analytical grade for long.
Thanks a lot for your answer, learned a lot from it :)

Latest posts

Back