Amount of essential oils in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangetree71

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to soap making and I've been told to use a 1/2 oz. of essential oil per lb. of oils. Do I use less for stronger oils? If yes, how do I know how much to use? I'm also curious how people test their oil combinations.

I've found that 4% EO per pound of oils is a good number for most EO's that have lasting power (clove, lemongrass, basil). For EO's like citrus (or blends with citrus) you'll need to use more (and it still might not last!).

So for 1 pound of oils between half an ounce to three-quarters of an ounce should be about right. You'll have to experiment to get it just right for each EO, of course 8)

treat EOs as you would FOs - they are additives and not soaping oils. so no adjustment to lye or oils needed.

You do need to remember that EO's are medicinal and as such you really don't want high percentages in anything you use because you are now affecting people physically. You also need to remember that people are more likely to be sensitive to an EO than FO....... So if you are looking for just scent you're better off with an FO and far safer....

Back