Almost Ready for 1st Batch of Soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmellyKat

Reaction score
Ok, after much research and brain pickin' everyone here, I have ordered the 3lb wooden mold, 3 oils from "Soapers Choice" (Olive, Coconut and Palm Kernel oil), and will be shopping for equipment this afternoon.
I just need to pick out 2 EO's. Thinking about Lemongrass and Clary Sage.
Who has the best prices for these EO's online??

Getting excited to start!! Will take pictures and post when the grand event takes place! :lol:

Thank you everyone for making this less scary and more exciting.
Kathie

Hi!

I am a newcomer here on this board too, but been soaping since 2004 and it has been a very relaxing, therapeutic and EXPENSIVE :oops: :shock: addiction-I mean "hobby" :lol:

Excited for you to be taking the plunge! You're gonna love it! I can't speak very accurately to the best places online to get E.O.s as I tend to use more F.O.s and have more experience with that. I am sure someone else will chime in.. Since you are just starting and may not want to wait for an order, if you have a GNC store near you, they usually sell a limited supply of NOW brand E.O.s. They are 1 oz. bottles and I have seen Lavendar, Patchouli, Eucalptys and others.. Just a thought..

Looking forward to seeing your finished product!

Camden Grey has the cheapest EOs I have found, just ordered a bunch:)
Basil is an affordable oil that is used in a lot of body products these days.

Just wondering what is scary?

Is it the lye? That is the least of your worries. :D
I would be more afraid of some FO's...

Welcome Kathie to a fun hobby. You did go the costly route in that you could have bought all your oils in a local store. You can also buy equipment at local stors too. Everything I bought first time I got at walmart and lowes. The only thing I have replaced are my oils. Just bought more lard after 5 batches of soap making. Coconut I have yet to open my second container. My liquid oils I use for other things so they go fast. Anyway, You will have a blast and lye is not that scary since we are not useing major amounts.

The best of all is when you use your first soap after curing. Really try to let it cure 2 weeks min before using. I know how hard that is for I have a new batch now just 2 days into second week and I am thinking of using it tonight. :p

I just used Southern Garden Scents.. I though price was not bad and shipping flat 6.99 .. I thought it would take forever and it was 7 days to recieve after I ordered. ( I cant speak about quality yet, they just came yesterday and I'm out of town for the next couple days ;( ) they were having a sale 40 and 50% off.. Good luck

nebetmiw said:
Welcome Kathie to a fun hobby. You did go the costly route in that you could have bought all your oils in a local store. You can also buy equipment at local stors too. Everything I bought first time I got at walmart and lowes. The only thing I have replaced are my oils. Just bought more lard after 5 batches of soap making. Coconut I have yet to open my second container. My liquid oils I use for other things so they go fast. Anyway, You will have a blast and lye is not that scary since we are not useing major amounts.

The best of all is when you use your first soap after curing. Really try to let it cure 2 weeks min before using. I know how hard that is for I have a new batch now just 2 days into second week and I am thinking of using it tonight. :p

It seems expensive getting all the equipment, etc. I was kind of leary buying the oils from the grocery store. But if it is the same and works just as well, I will buy at Safeway!! :) They even have Grapeseed Oil!
My 3 lb mold came in yesterday, so I am waiting on the oils. Trying to find freezer paper!! It is a rare find, I guess.
Hopefully everything will come in and I will be making soap this weekend.

eos, I would look into new directions, fos - peak, natures garden, berts heaven scent.
The oils you have pk, co , oo, just remember that pk and co have the same properties, so if you use too much it will be drying, do you have a recipe picked out? also, get some castor really adds lots of bubbles to your soap, I use at about 10%.
have fun!!

honor435 said:
eos, I would look into new directions, fos - peak, natures garden, berts heaven scent.
The oils you have pk, co , oo, just remember that pk and co have the same properties, so if you use too much it will be drying, do you have a recipe picked out? also, get some castor really adds lots of bubbles to your soap, I use at about 10%.
have fun!!

Good to know, thank you!! :)

Stinkydancer said:
Just wondering what is scary?

Is it the lye? That is the least of your worries. :D
I would be more afraid of some FO's...

Just scary that I may screw this up. haha
I bought 3 EO's, but I have heard pros and cons about using FO's.
Any advice?? :)

PrairieCraft said:
I just have to get it off my chest and say; "SmellyKat SmellyKat, what are they feeding you?" OK, all better now.

omg, wayyyyy too funny!!!! I love it!!

SmellyKat,

(Darn it! Now every time I see your username, I'm going to be thinking about PrairieCraft's post :lol: )

Anyway, don't forget about lavender EO. I've used it with lemongrass and I've used it with clary sage and both blends smell wonderful. It pretty much blends with everything. Also, in my opinion (and I could be wrong because I'm not an expert), I think lavender helps anchor the scent of lemongrass.

I agree with Hazel about the lavender, it's a must have. It really seems to round out a blend. I used it last night with clove, cedarwood and patchouli and without it those 3 things would be way too heavy together(I think).

My apologies, Hazel, for getting that little ditty stuck in your head. It's been in mine for days.

Hazel said:
SmellyKat,

(Darn it! Now every time I see your username, I'm going to be thinking about PrairieCraft's post :lol: )

Anyway, don't forget about lavender EO. I've used it with lemongrass and I've used it with clary sage and both blends smell wonderful. It pretty much blends with everything. Also, in my opinion (and I could be wrong because I'm not an expert), I think lavender helps anchor the scent of lemongrass.

Then I think my first soap will be lemongrass and lavendar......as soon as I order it!! I went with Rosemary instead. :)

are you going to check out newdirections for eos?
fos, eos, all a matter of preference, I like both, but for me mostly fos, less money.

PrairieCraft said:
My apologies, Hazel, for getting that little ditty stuck in your head. It's been in mine for days.

No need to apologize. The memory will eventually fade over time. :lol:

I'm also one of those people who gets things stuck in my head for hours or even days. I don't know why. It just happens. I also have to admit I had wondered about SmellyKat's unusual username but I felt it would be rude to ask. :lol:

I order everything online, except olive oil. I can get that on sale at my grocery store for less than Costco, and less than online shops..

Castor, Coconut, Palm? I find these are WAY less expensive online (WSP, soaper's choice, etc). Same thing with EO's.

Freezer paper? I find it right next to parchment paper/plastic wrap in the grocery store. Mine is Reynolds brand.

I got my soaping pitchers (Rubbermaid commercial) and stainless steel spoons at a restaurant supply store. They were CHEAP!!!

We make our own molds out of 1 x 4's. They're just simple frames with no bottoms. Very inexpensive.

My SB's have been from Walmart. They're Cuisinart. I'm on my third... but I make a lot of soap. :)

Hazel said:
PrairieCraft said:

No need to apologize. The memory will eventually fade over time. :lol:

I'm also one of those people who gets things stuck in my head for hours or even days. I don't know why. It just happens. I also have to admit I had wondered about SmellyKat's unusual username but I felt it would be rude to ask. :lol:

Hazel, SmellyKat just popped in my head one morning while I was looking for a username. And since we are talking about soap and being clean.....and my name is Kathie....SmellyKat worked. hahaha

Latest posts

Back