Allergies ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainsparky

Reaction score
We are using a standard CP recipe with goats milk and the regular botanical oils including now, a small amount of castor oil to harden the bars a bit. I have now been told by two folks that the soaps, different scents and batches made their skin break out but they did not have that affect on me. HELP ?

When you say botanical oils I am assuming you mean base oils and not essential oils. Did you you fragrance oil in your soaps. Some people are allergic to some fragrance oils and some are allergic to some e.o.s
Castor oil will not harden your soap, it increases the bubbles in a soap.

I think castor oil is used for bubbles but it makes soap soft so you don't use much (5% maybe) unless you're making shampoo. Someone correct me if I've got it wrong.

I think some people use the words "allergy", "sensitivity", and "irritation" interchangeably, which is incorrect. That being said, what were their complaints? When you say "break out", do you mean acne bumps or rash? Some people are more sensitive to the higher alkalinity of hand made soaps, some people find high coconut oil formulas drying or irritating, certain "botanicals" can be allergens (like Chamomile, which is in the ragweed family), many people are allergic to fragrance...the list goes on and on. There's someone allergic to everything. Are you sure your soaps are not lye heavy? That could certainly cause irritation. What is your "standard" CP recipe? It's easier to help narrow down the problem if we have more information.

I do believe that it may be a particular fragrance oil that was used. I think the complaint was a rash more or less. I used the same soap with no issues. I know for sue that the soap is not lye heavy.

What ingredient can be used to make a harder bar? If it is a higher percentage of a particular base like coconut, palm oil please let us know. Thanks to all.

I think the complaint was a rash more or less. I used the same soap with no issues.
Are you making soap for yourself, giving away as gifts, or selling?

Higher percentage of coconut oil, palm, tallow, etc. would usually make a harder bar. But too much coconut oil can be "too cleansing" and drying to the skin (although it can be countered by a higher superfatting). Adding cocoa butter (but some people are allergic to it), mango butter, etc. would also increase hardness in your soap. Some think of olive oil as "soft", but a well-cured 100% olive oil soap is hard as rock. And a 100% olive oil soap, no fragrance, to additives, is generally recommended for sensitive skin.

Without knowing your exact formula, it is difficult to give a one size fit all solution/recommendation.

Thanks to all. We sell and give. I have looked at the recipe again and compared it to others here so I think that it was more the fragrance oil being used. Thanks.

Hi, i know this is an older thread but I thought I'd write this anyways. My son has a bad allergy to anything coconut. He breaks out in hives if he eats it, mild rash like reaction on skin contact. He is also sensitive to tree nuts and highly allergic to peanuts. Until I had him I had no idea people could be allergic to coconut but there are people like that. My fiance is allergic to bananas.
So it could be really anything in your soap, including the base oils as well.

Latest posts

Back