Aleppo pepper?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathymzr

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Aleppo pepper in soap for color? If so what happened? Thanks!

I've used black pepper for specks but never capsicum. I would think the hot would remain and be unpleasant

That I don't really know. But this citation titled NaOH treatment reduces capsaicin content and pungency of Makedoniko peppers (Capsicum annuum L.) states:

"Capsaicin content was reduced by 25 or 50% following 0.5 or 1% NaOH treatment, respectively"

So apparently there is some sort of reaction, which in soap would depend on when and how you add the pepper. If you infuse the oil with the pepper, there would be an immediate interaction at the same time as the lye is working to interact with the oil. Lye takes what it takes; it is an equal opportunity chemical reaction agent.

If you have a powder and mix it in later, perhaps less interaction could occur, and therefore less reduction of capsaicin.

But there really is no guarantee of how much or how little the lye would interact with the pepper unless you do HP soap and only add it after the cook.

Earlene, thank you!! I have a tad in olive oil. But if the reaction is 50% or so it would probably be a fool’s errand. Have a great day and many thanks.

Are you wanting to use it just for color?

Capsaicin reduction would be a good thing, thats what makes a pepper spicy so less is what you would want. It shouldn't affect color at all.

I've used paprika for color, depending on how much used, you can get a light peach to orange.

i have used chilli oil to colour soap
the pepper i used has a similar scoville rating as your Aleppo pepper
the soap was coloured a pretty orange by the chilli oil and i didnt notice any heat using it

Latest posts

Back