Alcohol (Not Crown Royal!)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackiK

Reaction score
Can't remember which thread I read it in the other day, but someone said to use 90% Isopropyl Alcohol for spraying the tops to deter ash. What I bought at the pharmacy was 70%. I was wondering why it didn't work the wonders everyone was talking about.

So, where do I find 90%? I'm going to talk to the local pharmacy about ordering castor oil in containers larger than 4 ounces in hopes of saving a little $. If I have to, I'll order the alcohol also.

Jacki

you should be able to get Everclear where you live ( at least I was when I lived in Texas). Everclear should work fine...

krissy said:
you should be able to get Everclear where you live ( at least I was when I lived in Texas). Everclear should work fine...

Woo-Hoo!!! I can make soap and party at the same time :p

It's been so long since I've even heard the word Everclear, it didn't even cross my mind. ****. Now I have to go to the liquor store.

If you read any slurred posts from me, you'll know what happened.

I asked walgreens and they couldnt order a larger quantity castor but maybe an independent one can I just got the gallon jug from wsp with the shipping included it was about $25 it seemed the best deal going, and it is a long shelf life oil so less worries about it going bad.
ETA: better than $3-$4 for 6 oz

calico21 said:
I asked walgreens and they couldnt order a larger quantity castor but maybe an independent one can I just got the gallon jug from wsp with the shipping included it was about $25 it seemed the best deal going, and it is a long shelf life oil so less worries about it going bad.

Yes, we have one of those mom-and-pop pharmacies here. If they can't help me, I'll go through WSP. However, I only paid $1.79 for 4 ounces at Kroger.

JackiK said:
calico21 said:

Yes, we have one of those mom-and-pop pharmacies here. If they can't help me, I'll go through WSP. However, I only paid $1.79 for 4 ounces at Kroger.

Wow never found any that cheap here even wal mart, but I think it worked out to about $1.18 for 6 oz from wsp

xyxoxy said:
I buy Castor by the gallon from Columbus Foods. Last order was $14.70 plus shipping.
what was your shipping? Approximately if you ordered more than just the castor? I see low prices on websites, then they gouge you for shipping so just trying to go back and forth and put in all your info to get a shipping rate is soooo time consuming. I find that a basic rule is shipping is going to be $10 min if there isnt a big enough savings, I just pick the one that includes it.

Where are you at in Illinois calico? I am making an excursion to colombus foods next week to pick up oils. Save on shipping. It's only a half hour or so away from my office in La Grange but I live out in Lockport. If you wanted to pick up from me I could pick up an order for you.

Pickup would definitely save you $$ if you can work that out.

But my experience with Columbus is that they do not overcharge you for shipping. I last ordered 6 items at 7-10 pounds each. Shipping was $17.42.

And I don't think you need to put in all of your info to play with shipping costs... just your zip code. So you can add and remove items and recalculate until you are happy.

If you order 1 item it may not be worth it but if you need a few items the price per pound goes WAY down.

wow wish I could pick up but I'm in Peoria. One of these days maybe I'll make the drive myself but with gas going up who knows.

Thanks for letting me know about just the zip code that helps.

Back