Advice required

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moktah

Reaction score
I want to make a goat's milk soap using the following recipe:
1200mls Pomice olive oil
500 mls goat's milk
150 mls sunflower oil
50 mls avocado oil

I want to achieve a fairly hard bar that isn't too brittle. Is this a good mix of oils or should I change the amounts?

Mokta, you should always use weight, not volume, when soaping. That way, you will be more accurate, as some oils are denser than others, it's hard to measure mls of solid oils, stuff like that.

If I use the same amounts, but grams instead of mls, Soapmaker shows a hard, very moisturising bar, to be expected from a soap that is mainly olive oil.

I wouldn't use so much liquid - soapmaker gives 437g of liquid required for the batch, tho bear in mind that pretty much every lye calculator will give you a different liquid amount, depending on the way the calculator was set up.

It looks like a nice batch, give it a try!

Becky said:
Mokta, you should always use weight, not volume, when soaping.

Oops that was an error on my part... I do measure in weight, always.

Thanks for the encouragement and the advice, I will reduce the amount of milk and give it a go.

olive oil makes a very hard bar, given time. you will actually want a fairly high lye concentration and it will need a LONG cure (say 8 weeks absolute minimum, better 12)

Latest posts

Back