Advanced Lye Calc

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jshnks

Reaction score
Good morning! I've been running numbers through the advanced calc at summer bee meadows, and noticed I was getting a high water calc for using a 85-15 ratio, compared to 100% KOH usage,

85/15: (using the cream soap calc) 7.52oz
99/1: (using the cream soap calc) 8.28oz
0/100: (using the liquid soap calc) 5.38oz

And then using soapcalc.net using 100% KOH I get,

100% KOH 3.040oz

The numbers just seem really off, and was wondering if I have done something wrong, admittedly I am very new to the soap world, so I figured I would ask around.

Thanks,

Joshua

I'm sorry I am not sure what you are asking. Can you clarify what it is you are doing and what you want to know?

Thanks for the reply, new12soap.

Instead of using straight KOH or NaOH, I was trying to use a blend of 85% KOH and 15% NaOH, however on the summer bee meadow calc, the water to lye numbers seemed to be a bit high. However, I've found the way to do just using soapcalc.net.

All I need to do is run the calc for both KOH and NaOH, and multiply the weight times the percentage, ie: KOH weight times .85 then NaOH weight times .15

Thanks!
Joshua

I noticed that as well about SBM. But they had been reworking the calculator, heck the whole website. So many they made changes. Compare it to the Brambleberry calculator. They both run on the same principle as far as the Failor method and KOH impurities

Thanks for the reply, new12soap.

Instead of using straight KOH or NaOH, I was trying to use a blend of 85% KOH and 15% NaOH, however on the summer bee meadow calc, the water to lye numbers seemed to be a bit high. However, I've found the way to do just using soapcalc.net.

All I need to do is run the calc for both KOH and NaOH, and multiply the weight times the percentage, ie: KOH weight times .85 then NaOH weight times .15

Thanks!
Joshua

Okay, I am glad you got it sorted. Just one thing, as I understand it, KOH requires a LOT more water to dissolve than NaOH, so that may have been part of the problem. Where NaOH can dissolve in an equal amount of water, most of the recipes and recommendations I have seen say to use 3:1 water for KOH, so a 25% solution.

Latest posts

Back