Adjusting Recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mothi

Reaction score
Currently I made a recipe that used:
48% olive oil
28% coconut oil
19% palm oil
5% almond oil

Which coming through the calculator has
Hardness: 39
Cleansing: 19
Condition: 56
Bubbly: 19
Creamy: 20

I was thinking of upping the hardness, but whenever I try to change the recipe, the conditioning drops. I try to keep the Bubbly and Creamy around 19-20. Does the conditioning not matter a lot with GM added? Am I using too much coconut oil?

One thought for change is:
45% olive oil
25% coconut oil
15% palm oil
5% almond oil
5% palm kernal
5% cocoa butter

which gives
Hardness: 41
Cleansing: 20
Condition: 54
Bubbly: 20
Creamy: 21

Does 2 points up on hardness make that much of a difference? I do discount the liquids in my soap. According to a calculator, I use 30%. That does help on hardness as well right? What about conditioning? Too low?

I did mill some of my day old soap and mixed it with water to make liquid soap, but it turned more runny than I hoped so probably too much water in there. But after washing my hand, it left a sweaty palm feeling on my palm. My hands did feel smoother (or I am crazy and delirious). It didn't feel drying either.

Any opinion on the recipe? How much does 1 here or 2 there matter?

One thought for change is:
45% olive oil
25% coconut oil
15% palm oil
5% almond oil
5% palm kernal
5% cocoa butter

which gives
Hardness: 41
Condition: 54
Creamy: 21

Does 2 points up on hardness make that much of a difference? I do discount the liquids in my soap. According to a calculator, I use 30%. That does help on hardness as well right? What about conditioning? Too low?

I did mill some of my day old soap and mixed it with water to make liquid soap, but it turned more runny than I hoped so probably too much water in there. But after washing my hand, it left a sweaty palm feeling on my palm. My hands did feel smoother (or I am crazy and delirious). It didn't feel drying either.

Any opinion on the recipe? How much does 1 here or 2 there matter?

I dont think 1 here or 2 there matters.. you wont be able to tell (IMHO)
I like your last recipe.. give it a try.

Is there a problem with coconut oil being almost 30%? I know too much causes drying? I also read palm oil having the same problem? I recall a website said no more than 30-35% of coconut oil + palm oil. Or were they referring to palm kernel oil which is comparable to coconut oil in properties?

The problem with the new recipe is I don't have a lot of those ingredients. I would buy them, but it would be a waste to buy a lot of something I will use little of. I will be moving across country near the end of this year so limited on what I can use in the meantime. I think I just will just stick to a new percentage I came up with

47% olive oil
29% coconut oil
19% palm oil (not kernel)
5% sweet almond oil

which gives...
Hardness: 40
Condition: 56
Creamy: 20

Unless there is a problem with too much coconut oil and palm oil. Feedback?

Latest posts

Back