Adding oil after cook?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelleyaynn

Reaction score
Since you can't determine which oil(s) will not get saponified when you superfat, has anyone tried adding the superfat oil to CPHP after the cook? Will that work? My recipe calls for a bit of sweet almond oil for superfatting, but of course there is no way of knowing whether or not that oil will get saponified. So I was thinking of adding the two tablespoons of it (roughly 50 - 60 ml) after the cook since saponification will already have occurred. Has anyone ever tried this, or heard of doing this? Is there any reason I shouldn't? I guess my main question is whether or not it will easily blend into the cooked soap batter. If it does, I don't see why it should be a problem.

Thanks!

Yes, you can add it just fine, at the end of your cook and before pouring it into the mold.

If your soap happens to be too hard, you'll just need to borrow some muscle to incorporate the oil, but the oil does help o soften the soap a little and make it easier to pour.

kelleyaynn said:
Will that work?
Sure! That's what I do with my HP soaps. Besides, if you add your SF oils and FOs after the cook, it will help with molding - it allows the batter to be a bit more fluid.

Back