Adding milk to HP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartinoff

Reaction score
Can I add milk toward the end of the cook with about 30 minutes left with a water discount in the beginning? Or is it best to add it at trace (what I normally do with cp) and just let it cook?

what kind of milk? I just did a coc milk soap, I did 1/2 water w lye, then after that was cooled I added the co milk to the lye water, worked fine. I believe some people add the gm after the cook, not w 1/2 to go.

I add the milk after the soap is finished cooking to avoid the bad smell or color I always get when added any other time. You will have to discount the water and if you are adding the full amount of milk, you need to add something like oatmeal to thicken it some. I let the milk bars dry longer than soaps without.

I've been doing CP for quite a while, but have only recently started doing HP. If you add the milk after the cook, does it not go sour....and smell sour? And if not, why not?

What is cultured milk? Not something I have come across here in the UK. And cultured milk of what animal?

I use cow's milk mostly to make kefir, a type of cultured milk high in lactic acid. I actually do a secondary fermentation after removing the kefir cultures so it pretty strong. You can use the milk of any mammal to make it. Cow's milk is the least expensive.

I also add it after soap has fully gelled. I also don't know why it doesn't spoil, but it doesn't. Someone suggested once that it had to do with the glycerin in the soap having 'natural preserving' qualities, and soap is self preserving as long as it's dry, but I don't know if that is a fact?

Latest posts

Back