Adding milk after gel??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogsong

Reaction score
Hi --

I see there is a thread about adding pureed foods and someone made the comment that there is no expiration date as long as the food is pureed and goes through the saponification phase.

I had been planning on trying some batches of HP where I would add some milk after the gel phase and right before the pour. But now I am thinking maybe that won't work and that milk, like the pureed food, must go through the saponification process.

Does anyone have any thoughts or insights? I had been planning to take my liquid range (say 12-18 oz) and dissolve the lye in an amount of liquid (milk or water) equal to the lower end of the range (12 oz in my example), then add milk at the end sufficient to reach the upper limit of the range (6 oz to bring total to 18).

Thank you, lsg!

It just occurred to me that adding things after the gel/right before the pour should in theory be the same as rebatching. And people use milk for rebatching pretty routinely, I think? So, theoretically, any additive that would be used in rebatching could be used at the end of HP, is what I'm now thinking...

Latest posts

Back