A Good salt bar recipe for CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd personally skip the orris root powder, or at least look long and hard at it before you use it, it can be a sensitizer for some people.

Victoria, that's a good recipe and I made that before. I didn't put any of the extras in except for FO and some color. It's basically those oil percentages, 33% water, 15% SF and 80% salt. You could also try 100% CO, 20% SF, 80% salt, and 33% water. The options are endless! I like to use fine sea salt, but everyone else has their preference. For my coconut milk ones I used non iodized table salt. I froze the milk and used it in place of water. I think goats milk would've been easier to use. Good luck!

whisks-

I think the premise of a salt bar is its kind of a shower rendition of the spa service: a salt glow...

:)

might give you a deeper perspective

i tried a salt bar with 70% coconut oil and 15% castor oil and 15% olive oil, added the salt at gloppy trace, and now that it's come out of the mold and cured for a few days, i noticed that the salt's settled to the bottom of the soap leaving about 1/4 of an inch with no salt at all :(

how do i get salt to stay uniform throughout the bar?

What is the reasoning for superfatting the salt bars 15-20%? I usually do mine at 6%, just curious :)

lovethyscent said:
What is the reasoning for superfatting the salt bars 15-20%? I usually do mine at 6%, just curious :)

Some people find coconut oil drying since as it cleans it strips moisture away from your skin. Keeping the SF around 15-20% seems to be a high enough percent to help moisturize and prevent that itchy feeling. I find 6% SF fine for soaps with 20% CO but anytime I do a high CO bar I need the 15-20% SF.

Milla said:
lovethyscent said:

Some people find coconut oil drying since as it cleans it strips moisture away from your skin. Keeping the SF around 15-20% seems to be a high enough percent to help moisturize and prevent that itchy feeling. I find 6% SF fine for soaps with 20% CO but anytime I do a high CO bar I need the 15-20% SF.

Ahhh ok thanks for clearing that up :) Maybe I'll try that I usually do shea and coconut and it's usually the only soap I make that I can use on my face without it feeling like cracking lol. Thanks again :)

Thought I'd reply here instead of making a new thread. I'm a total novice to soapmaking and CP but I want to try my hand at making a salt bar for my face. I found out I can get blocks of Copha (solid coconut oil) and make real little batches and see how it reacts with my skin. I plan to use the high SF like Kittywings recipe, for a real small test batch of 100 grams (3.5oz) I'm told to use about 16 grams of lye for a 10% fatting.

Would something like 15% SF still be enough to ensure a nice soap that won't turn my face into a desert?

Question for you should I leave out the shea if I do 15% sf? In my 6% bars my face loves them , but if I put shea directly on my face I break out something fierce.

artisan soaps said:
The minimum batch size I'd recommend is 500gm, and 15% SF .. 20%SF would be even better (imho)..

Thanks. I've been looking at the Snowdrift soap calc and worked out for a 500 gram batch I need roughly 90 grams of lye... but for a 20% SF do I just add 100 grams extra of oil and not worry about the lye discount or should I discount the lye anymore than the recommended 3%, should I put it up to 15%... all this discounting etc is making me kind of confused

rupertspal42 said:
Milla
those are pretty!! i'm kind of worried about using coconut milk though heh so did you use in place of your water?

found this on the website at the bottom, is this a fairly good combo?

Here is a soap recipe that I had been anxious to try out. This salt soap bar or 'spa soap' is a wonderfully creamy soap that gently removes dead skin cells and leaves your skin feeling soft and smooth.

Base Ingredients Grams Ounces Percentage
Coconut Oil 504 gr. 17.78 oz. 70%
Castor Oil 72 gr. 2.54 oz. 10%
Grapeseed Oil 144 gr. 5.08 oz. 20%
Distilled Water 237.6 gr. 8.38 oz.
Lye 102.15 gr. 3.6 oz.
Sea Salt - Fine 576 gr. 20.32 oz.

Water as % of Oils = 33
Super Fat/Discount = 15%

Optional Additives Measurement
Orris Root Powder 1 tsp. (5 ml)
Titanium Dioxide 1 tsp.
Rosemary Extract 1/4 tsp. (1.25 ml)
Grapefruit Seed Extract 1 tsp. (5 ml)
Lavender E/O 5 tsp. (15 ml)
Eucalyptus E/O 1.5 tsp. (7.5 ml)
Rosemary E/O 1 tsp. (5 ml)
Grated colored soap bits 300 - 400 gr.

http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/soap-recipe-salt-soap.html

I just want to check the quantities of the EOs please. You have Lavender down as 5 teaspoons but only 15ml. Is that supposed to be 25ml or is it only 3 teaspoons? :wink: It sounds like a lovely recipe so I'm writing it down and don't want to get it wrong.

Well i'll have to try it out today.. i'm off till monday because I had another oral surgery today..boo but on a plus theygave me som Vikaden (spelling) and some IB Profen so i'm not in to much pain thank you jesus. But anywho I think i'll try it with out any additives this first time.. might try some FO :wink: but i'll let everyone know how it goes :D

how does the salt compare to the rest as far as volume? What I mean is that if I am using salt at 100% and a particular batch normally fills a 1 lb mold, do I cut it in half to fill the same mold or less, more?

Absinthe said:
how does the salt compare to the rest as far as volume? What I mean is that if I am using salt at 100% and a particular batch normally fills a 1 lb mold, do I cut it in half to fill the same mold or less, more?

Great question! I wondered this myself!

holly99 said:
Absinthe said:

Great question! I wondered this myself!

This is actually a tricky thing because 100% salt will not necessarily double the volume of your soap. Weight for weight it will, but not volume for volume. If you cut your recipe in half to accomodate the 100% salt, you'll find the batter doesn't actually come all the way up to the top of your mold- it'll be shortchanged by about 25% to 30%. If you're going to use 100% salt, what you can do is reduce the oil amount in your recipe by about 25% - 30% instead of 50%.

It was a bit of a headache for me trying to figure out my own salt soap volume because I don't use 100% salt anymore (no, that would be too easy! :wink: ). I found that I really like using only 30% salt instead. I finally figured it all out but I was almost rendered insane in the process. LOL :lol:.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back