1st bath bomb

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
I got my ingredients and molds yesterday in the mail. Couldn't wait to try them.

I rushed and then added too much liquid because I was experimenting with adding slsa, glycerine and EO's.

Molded fine but then started to "Slump" and by this morning they are still not firm firm. But I kind of LOVE the way they look with the Rose design on the top and the way the sides look.

Attachments

• 20180205_062735[1].jpg
    20180205_062735[1].jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
They look way better than my first bath bombs. My granddaughter & I made those together, then went off on a roadtrip, leaving them uncovered on top of a dresser in the guest bedroom at my son's house in San Antonio. When we came back a few weeks later, they had grown and overflowed the molds (yes, we left them in the molds). They had been soaking up the humidity and just kept on expanding while we were gone. It was like a science experiment gone awry.

So we read up on it and made them right the next time. And learned they really do need to be wrapped up to prevent them from absorbing water in the humid air.

I need to play with them and I normally would never post a pick of a bad one but... With the rose design on the top it was just so cute !

I cut the small one open, soft like drying playdough. Put it in a pan with warm water and it fizzed and bubbles and feels nice.

Now I get to play with this !

I may even just keep them wetter and let it mush like that as they are so cute !

p.s. I don't even take baths, my DD does. Plus I figure I should sell something other then Salt bars haha. Still a long way off from selling anyway !

A weeks worth of reading all day and trying to calculate a recipe has not gotten me much further.
They bubble/fizz very well, but have turned to blobs haha.

One set was good, only a few warts on them. Decided to see if they would harden faster in the oven .... turned into a large wart ! :eek: My fault for trying while it is raining.

Of course I can't help myself and keep at it today, rainy outside.
Didn't want to use the Witch Hazel or Alcohol, just the oil . Had to run out to get a spray bottle. Good thing I already have WH here ;)

1st batch without the spray bottle ended up blobbing out.
2nd batch, with WH spray, still waiting to see if it droops. I have a small desk fan on it.

I LOVE making these, even though they are not coming out perfect. But I love making the recipe.
A bit from this, a bit from that, can I add... can I not.

Thanks for letting me blab ;)

HAHA these are the ones that were too dry at first then too wet with oils ;)

the ones with the WH worked but did get a slight droop

Attachments

• 20180212_075903[1].jpg
    20180212_075903[1].jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 27
The one's you call blobbing out are reacting because of to much liquid. I much prefer to make bombs with very little oil since I hate oil slicks in a tub. It is slippery and hard on drains. If you ever start selling keep it in mind. That is also why I refuse to make and sell batch melts. But just my opinion and I live in a very sue happy state :eek:

Yeah I added more oil to those ones. But the whole batch was a mess to begin with. I was 1/2ing the recipe but made a mistake so I had to add to make a full batch. Not sure all the stuff was correct and since these are all just learning trials I just added a bit too much oil. trial and error. I know how much NOT to add now which is a good thing. And learned how to use the WH.

Thanks, but I don't do FB so it won't let me see it :(

But I love looking at pics on them on google. The food ones are the best !

Back