100% olive oil soap receipts & suggestion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susucosp

Reaction score
i am a newbie in soap making.

i find a 100% olive oil soap recipe in this forum and someone in cp forum suggest me to use 33% lye solution instead of 25% lye solution so i use this one. then i find another recipe in youtube.com

which is the best 100% olive oil soap recipe.

first one use 25% lye solution and use different temperature for the oil and the lye.
16 oz. pure olive oil
2 oz. lye
6 oz. water

Heat oil to 150° and add the lye to the water slowly while stirring with a wooden spoon.Mix lye solution and oils when the oil is at 120-130° and the lye between 90-100°. Mix them together until it comes to a trace. Pour it into a mold and let set 72 hours before unmolding.

second recipe use 33% lye solution and use same temperature for the oil and lye solution 110 degree.
24.4 oz Olive Oil, 6.83 oz Distilled Water, 3.14 oz lye

anyone has any suggestion for a better recipe. i need a good recipe for a 100% olive oil. :?:

Both recipes are "good" in that they will work to make Castile soap.

The recipe with less water will trace faster and cure faster, but the lye is more concentrated and may be trickier to mix.

With respect to temperature, I have been told that I was mixing at too HIGH a temperature at 135 degrees F. When I changed to Room Temperature Oil and fully mixed in lye that had not cooled off yet, I had much better luck controlling the speed of trace and the texture of the pour. The part about letting it sit in the mold 72 hours is good advice regardless of which recipe you use... Olive oil take a bit longer to set up and then you need to let it cure longer than other soaps with the same water content as well.

150 degrees seems unnecessarily hot to me. If you wished, you could soap 100% OO soap at room temperature as there are no saturated oils in the recipe. But certainly soaping at 90-100 would be more than sufficient.

If you stir with a wooden spoon, you will stir for a very long time. Invest in a stick blender. If you must, use a whisk. Don't use wooden utensils though, the lye will cause them to break down over time and you might get little splinters in your soap. Stainless steel, silicone, or plastic (some stick blenders are plastic with a steel blade) is best.

Whatever Castille recipe you use, I'd cut the water back to a ratio of 1.5 (water) to 1 (lye) to speed trace and time to unmolding and cutting. Certainly, no more than 2:1.

i am thinking of using 30% babassu oil and 70% olive to make my second batch of soap. my first batch is 100% olive oil, and i use 31.5% lye water solution, then i add more lye to it so that it get close to 40% lye solution since after 4 days, there are still some olive oil left which is not react completely with lye yet. l do read some of the people do not like 100% olive oil soap because of the feeling of slime .

i am going to try this new receipt as my second batch and see
70% 25.5 oz olive oil ( walmart )
30% 10.95 oz babassu oil ( i am looking where to buy from a vitamin store?? )

i have never used a lye calculator, can anyone help me to find out how much lye and how much water i need for this formula?

thank you.

Both recipes are "good" in that they will work to make Castile soap.

The recipe with less water will trace faster and cure faster, but the lye is more concentrated and may be trickier to mix.

With respect to temperature, I have been told that I was mixing at too HIGH a temperature at 135 degrees F. When I changed to Room Temperature Oil and fully mixed in lye that had not cooled off yet, I had much better luck controlling the speed of trace and the texture of the pour. The part about letting it sit in the mold 72 hours is good advice regardless of which recipe you use... Olive oil take a bit longer to set up and then you need to let it cure longer than other soaps with the same water content as well.
:)

Latest posts

Back